Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Pinion setting gauge 18G191

Post by GavinL »

Does anyone have one of these, and if so would they be willing to post the heights of the three steps on the setting gauge, A, B and C?

Having searched the web i can only find the height of step B as 0.820", which is for an MGA apparently. I know that there are threads explaining how to set the pinion without the gauge, but i've seen this information requested on a number of related forums without success so far, and it would be useful to know.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Pinion setting gauge 18G191

Post by Declan_Burns »

Gavin,
The steps were to measure the nominal thickness of the carrier bearings which are actually metric. The step B was indeed for the MGA which uses 7208B bearings (which replaces the original R&M LJT40) and measure 80x40x18mm. The step A is for the 7207B which replaces the R&M 119LJ35 bearings which measure 72x35x17mm. I hope this is of some help. If I am correct step A is 17mm and step B is 18mm. C I don't know. I don't have such a gauge to check it.
I also recommend using carrier bearings with a metal cage and not the cheapy ones with a polyamide cage.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan