Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Gearbox Remote vibration noise

Post by Nickol »

With everything working now on my 1968 Traveller so well ( famous last words....) I can turn my attention to the small annoying things.

The remote gearstick vibrates and makes quite a loud noise when travelling along. I am able to dampen it by resting my right leg against it ( my car is LHD) . Before I take off the rubber gaitor and investigate I thought I might ask the Forum if this phenomena is widely known and what might be the cause?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox Remote vibration noise

Post by pgp001 »

Yes it is a very common problem, but fairly easy to sort out.

There should be a spring loaded nylon cup pushing upwards against the small ball on the end of the gear lever
There should be rubber O-ring around the small ball on the gear lever.
There should be a spring loaded brass plunger pushing against the side of the large ball on the gear lever.
Some or all of these might be worn out or missing,

I have just fitted my spare rebuilt gearbox with all these items being replaced, and it is now like new with no vibration.
This evening I have stripped the old gearbox down and found that the levers on the remote selector shaft were both loose, and that was allowing a lot of of excess movement of the gear lever.

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Gear lever vibration on the 'A' Series gearboxes is a well known and common phenonium.
The causes - wear in the gearbox, wear in the three bolt gear lever retaining cover, failed rubber ring on the bottom of the gear lever. worn nylon cup on the bottom of the gear lever and a weak spring on the inside of the anti rattle plunger.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

super! thanks for the info . I can now investigate and probably order some parts.

Many thanks
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Just to tidy up the thread. Having dismantled the gear lever I discovered that not only was the rubber ring missing but also the anti rattle plunger and its spring. ESM odered, arrived, installed. No more strong noise. :D