Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

HIF44 Inlet manifold query

Post by Murrayminor »

I'm planning on running a single HIF44 on my 1330 engine which will in turn be fitted to my Minor.

The inlet manifold for the single HIF44 I have in the garage is from a mini and it will place the carb at an angle when fitted,I presume this is to accomodate the HIF and the mini bulkhead.

I can foresee this being an issue on the inline engine so I'm asking the question before I spend more money, would I be better off with a manifold that keeps the carb in the vertical position?

Such as this item from maniflow.

https://www.maniflow.co.uk/index.php?vi ... oduct=1192

Regards

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: HIF44 Inlet manifold query

Post by philthehill »

The HIF44 carb and Mini manifold should be perfectly alright as a pair if they both came off a classic Mini.
It is when you try and mix and match carbs & manifolds you will encounter problems.

Phil

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Phil
I didn't tell the full story, I apologise.

The inlet manifold I have is an old heated inlet Oselli Torqmaster which I think was an original mini item but having looked at it again its a 38mm and not a 44mm.

I wonder if there is enough meat on the manifold to open the inlet out to 44mm either that or I sell the Oselli and opt for the Maniflow item which is designed for the HIF44.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Looking at images of Oselli torque master inlet manifolds on the web - the fitting of a HIF44 to the Oselli manifold appears to have been done many times in the past so there should be no problem in opening out the manifold to suit the HIF44 carb.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... 67&bih=844

See top right hand image.