Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mp166
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering wheel nut problem

Post by mp166 »

Hi Folks.

Bit of help needed. Replacing steering wheel on my 1000 saloon, got right size socket 34 & 33 MM first problem that a previous tinkerer had used chisel and hammer method so nut a bit burred, but with help of rubber mallet got socket on, had soaked nut in 3 in 1 first, try as I might cannot get nut to release, my final effort was large torque wrench on socket with a tyre lever between that and wheel spoke for extra leverage and when that failed some sharp taps with mallet, still did not budge a thou. Am I missing something obvious or is there any tips you could pass on. Thanks in advance.

Martin
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steering wheel nut problem

Post by ManyMinors »

You just need to keep doing what you're doing but try a bit harder :wink:
3 in 1 won't be much use if you DO need a penetrating oil. Plus Gas would be better but there shouldn't be any corrosion in any case.
Put the car on full lock so that the steering (and therefore the wheel itself) can't move any further.

They can be on tightly but I haven't personally come across one quite that problematic!

Good luck with it. You'll get there in the end. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but once the nut is loose, make sure you can release the steering wheel itself BEFORE you fully undo the nut. People have been known to bash themselves in the teeth removing a stubborn steering wheel which suddenly gives up the fight........
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Martin
Good advice from ManyMinors , I'm a fan of Plus Gas too.
Other things to consider , if it's a case of " no joy ".
Ask a local garage to put an Impact socket on it with their air gun. Once loosened , pop the nut back on it's thread. Do it up hand tight. A smear of vaseline , for lubrication , on the thread.
If the retaining nut is pretty damaged you could always drill the flats in two places , 180 degrees apart. Small drill
size , masking tape so it doesn't slide , AVOID damaging the column thread at all costs. Use a small cold chisel to
split the nut. A new nut will be required of course.
Bob
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I'm sure that you are trying to turn it anti-clockwise, but worth checking. Definitely try Plus Gas rather than 3-in-1.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would not normally recommend this way of undoing a nut but as the nut has already been butchered - turn the steering wheel to full left lock and get someone to hold it hard over - then use a hammer and chisel to loosen the nut anti-clockwise. Replace the nut with new.
Whilst the nut is thin it has a very fine thread which allows it to be done up very tight.
As above - loosen the nut but do not remove fully when trying to remove the steering wheel from the column taper.