Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SriVik
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Exhaust choice

Post by SriVik »

Hello everybody,
the exhaust pipe in my morris has been modified. I wanted to restore to original pipe and silencer mainly for look and the original morris sound.

I got two option.
1. Get a second hand one, clean and re-paint
2. Get A new stainless-steel.

Has anybody tried stainless steel here??
Please give me some feedback and advice.

Viks (morris series 5 1963)
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Exhaust choice

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I had a standard bore stainless steel one fitted to Abby, my old two door, when the original mild steel one rotted through.
It looked the same and others confirmed to me that it sounded the same (by saying they were surprised it did).
I sold it on when I swapped her engine to a 1275 and fitted a larger bore exhaust to suit, so I lost the burble and overrun........
Shame really but the trouble is the small bore exhaust does strangle even a standard engine somewhat.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

In years gone by, one could get second hand mild steel exhausts from breakers yards, but these days I doubt that anything worth having will be for sale. They were not painted. I've used stainless for 40 years and have been generally happy. Despite "lifetime warranties" they do not last forever, but a lot longer than mild steel - two have outlasted the suppliers from whom I bought them.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

" Shame really but the trouble is the small bore exhaust does strangle even a standard engine somewhat.
Best wishes,
Mike. "

Sorry Mike , but have to disagree,having a stainless system on my 2.0 Zetec there's no noticable strangling but still the " fart "...

John ;-)
SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Thanks for the infor..

Stainless sound almost similar okay got it.

I assume its heavier right??

Apparently now steel but aluminized. Anybody tried before??
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Be very careful which one you order. Some are a very poor fit and do not seat on the manifold properly leading to constant blowing, and some catch the bodywork where the downpipe exits leading to excessive noise. For this reason I have my local 'old school' exhaust shop manufacture and fit new exhausts. Mild steel pipes have a life of around 7 years in normal service.
SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:47 pm Be very careful which one you order. Some are a very poor fit and do not seat on the manifold properly leading to constant blowing, and some catch the bodywork where the downpipe exits leading to excessive noise. For this reason I have my local 'old school' exhaust shop manufacture and fit new exhausts. Mild steel pipes have a life of around 7 years in normal service.
True, all new exhaust pipe which is available in the market nowadays need some adjustment Before fitting. Its better to bring your original pipe and fabricate in your local exhaust shop... you are right
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I bought a S/S exhaust system from the Morris Minor Centre in the mid '80s. Still in place and working well.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

SriVik wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:50 am Apparently now steel but aluminized. Anybody tried before??
Yes, I fitted an aluminized three-piece. Unfortunately, the baffles in the silencer blew loose after a few months - dunno if that's typical. But it does make a hell of a trumpeting noise! :lol:
SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:52 pm
SriVik wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:50 am Apparently now steel but aluminized. Anybody tried before??
Yes, I fitted an aluminized three-piece. Unfortunately, the baffles in the silencer blew loose after a few months - dunno if that's typical. But it does make a hell of a trumpeting noise! :lol:
I still prefer to get back the original sound. For now, i managed to get a old stock system. Let me try that first
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

I put a full stainless system on Monty (my traveller) and it still made a SMASHING 'FARTY' sound! :D