Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Rear suspension knocking

Post by andrew.searston »

Hi everyone
I have a knocking cracking noise From the rear, sounds just behind the passenger door (2door), I have had new front spring hangers welded in, it has telescopic shock absorbers, interior is removed so not from inside, I can’t visually see anything catching and have had it on a lift many times, my thought is it’s just the leaf springs left, I had changed them 2 years ago so are pattern parts, are the leaf springs a common problem for noises?
[sig]9671[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear suspension knocking

Post by philthehill »

Check the axle to spring mounts as they are prone to rust and cracking.

andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

I shall check them again, but seemed good last time I checked, replaced the rubbers at the same time. What are people’s opinions on the New leaf springs? There not old at all, they don’t have rubber in the clamps around the leafs, so was wondering if that possible noise
[sig]9671[/sig]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Do you have saddle pad bushes fitted (you should) and what condition are they in?
If you need to replace them don't buy cheap rubber ones, I did (because I couldn't find any Poly ones at the time) and they are cracking up already, after but a few months!
And Sally hasn't even come back down off the axle stands yet!
I have now sourced some Poly ones to fit (link below).
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERFLEX-PO ... 2749.l2649
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Hi Andrew,

I had a similar knocking from the same area in my car after rear telescopics were fitted and floor welding was done in that area - it took a while (and a lot of head scratching!) to figure out that it was the back axle that was bumping up into the exhaust.

When trying to find the source of the noise, the car was stationary with no one inside it, and the axle/exhaust gap looked fine.....in the end, only a feint tell tale mark on the exhaust and corresponding mark on the axle gave the game away. I simply raised the exhaust by half an inch by shortening the rear fixing 'strap' and the knocking noise went away.

All the best,

Pete
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Exhaust knocking on axle or tank would be a good starting point, but also check the crossmember area for telltale marks. Try disconnecting the damper and moving it up and down to see if there's any play there.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

If you have had the spring hangers replaced are the bushes, pins and the bolted on plate all assembled correctly and tight.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

have a look at the rear shackle ,if the springs have sagged the shackle is pushed close to the chassis and then hits it causing a knock if so you will see a mark on the leg, springs have been of dubious temper for a few years, some to stiff some too soft and if the latter two years may be enough to cause the above.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Silly question: You do have the bump stops installed, don't you?