Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rebuilt 1275-running a bit "out of sorts"

Post by oliver90owner »

Thanks Phil. Just as an aside, I suppose, did that instruction continue to the end of the A series engine production - eg in the last of the Minis that were made with that engine?

While I have never had a head gasket replaced by a dealer/repairer workshop, I was not aware that these repairs included a return to the workshop/repairer, for re-torquing after about 500 miles.

I just looked in a Haynes manual and there it says retighten head bolts on a cool engine after about a ten mile run. No mention of further attention in 500 miles. Haynes are fairly compliant to the workshop manuals, I would think?
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ndevans »

Not much to report really. I re-torqued the head nuts, a couple moved very slightly, but most weren't moving at the 50lb-ft mark.
I also compared the new bottom hose to the old, and the heater return stub is markedly taller than on the old one, easily 2-3 cm more. It would probably fit the copper pipe comfortably, but I've left it off now. I've got new lengths of 1/2" (actually 13mm) hose, so we'll see if it still leaks. I'm going to do a flush with the hosepipe again tomorrow, and leave it running for 15min, as the manual suggests.
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I flushed the water system today, changed the oil, filled up with anti-freeze and started it. It runs! And sounds very smooth, too. No sign of leaking coolant from the revised hose arrangement, new bottom hose fits well. Not had a run in it yet, the seats are only just back in.
I'm happy, but wary...., :lol:
cheers N

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Was that wary - or was it a spelling error/typo and you meant ‘weary’? Probably either or both?🙂

This saga goes back to the beginning of September when I gave you a few simple reasons for water loss or the likelihood of you pulling the engine apart shortly. ‘Burying one’s head in the sand’, when a sign of impending trouble arises, generally only results in things getting worse.

That said, changing a head gasket is really only a half day’s work. But next time, it might be less than this time, and will be a plus for you.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Back in early September, I did flush the block, but only by putting the hose in the top of the radiator and running it for a few minutes. Yesterday, I used the newly fitted brass drain tap on the block to flush it for 15 min, also flushing the heater radiator and main radiator at the same time. I must have had water running though the engine for 30+min in total, so I've done a far more thorough flush, plus I used some radflush whilst running the engine the previous day.
I think the mixture was too weak, despite the colortune suggesting otherwise. Enriching it has helped no end, with little change in fuel consumption. The thermostat I tested, and as far as I could tell in a pan of hot water, opened at a shade below 88°, and closed at about the same point. I've now replaced it anyway. Likewise the radiator cap.
The head gasket went in early Nov, very suddenly, after a couple of good runs, the only warning being some mayonnaise oil under the rocker cover a day or two previously.
I think I have had a combination of a weak mixture at the start, partially blocked cooling system, a suspect hose and eventually a faulty head gasket.
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Some success today, only a 6 mile run, but no water lost, and only a smidgen of oil. It ran pretty sweetly, even the choke seems to be behaving itself. Lockdown means limited opportunities for further running, but it's all positive at the moment.
On the plus side, not being able to use it much means I can focus on getting the carpets back in.
Cheers N
cheers N

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

ndevans wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:05 am I think the mixture was too weak, despite the colortune suggesting otherwise. Enriching it has helped no end, with little change in fuel consumption. The thermostat I tested, and as far as I could tell in a pan of hot water, opened at a shade below 88°, and closed at about the same point. I've now replaced it anyway. Likewise the radiator cap.
The head gasket went in early Nov, very suddenly, after a couple of good runs, the only warning being some mayonnaise oil under the rocker cover a day or two previously.
I think I have had a combination of a weak mixture at the start, partially blocked cooling system, a suspect hose and eventually a faulty head gasket.
Do bear in mind that adjusting the mixture will actually do very little other than at idle. If you’ve got the wrong profile needle in the carb, you need to get it sorted, and as you’ve got a non-standard set up, the best way to do that, unless you have your own CO meter and are prepared to do miles of testing under different load and speed conditions, is a rolling road session. Otherwise, the mixture just won’t be right through the Rev range at different throttle openings.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

That is the goal, getting it on a rolling road, but I need to get the basics right first. No point in having it on a rolling road if it's losing water or running hot, or, for that matter, leaking fuel from the fuel tank sender gasket (today's farce!)
MoT in Jan, I'll get it through that first, then see where we are.

Edit-leak appears to be sorted. I replaced the paper sender unit gasket with a (home made) cork gasket. Funny thing is I made the paper gasket that leaked, to replace the old one, which was also a home made paper gasket that I put on in about 2009. Anyway, no sign of fuel leaking now, so I just need the incessant rain to stop, then I can give it a good run.
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Longer run today. Home made cork sender unit gasket has cured the fuel leak, and no signs of water loss either. There was also none of the usual drop or two of oil under the engine after standing for an hour (there is oil in it, I checked!), but the jury is still out on the weep of oil from the head/block joint near no.1 cyl on the exhaust side. There is a very thin film of oil there now, but I couldn't see properly whether it was there before I went for the run. 200 mile run on the cards for next weekend (house clearance, allowed under Covid lockdown rules), so we'll see how it performs then.
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

200 mile run is now scheduled for next weekend, but a 30 run on Saturday showed up no problems. MOT on the 16th, then all being well, & Covid permitting, I'll look to getting it on a rolling road.
Cheers N
cheers N

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

hi can you please advise what the 1275 engine came out of as i have one with the engine number E-H 232021 thank you
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Mine came out of a Marina, or so I was told. I didn't actually see the vehicle it came out of though. The engine number, which I don't have to hand, dates it to around 1978. It's not an A+, as it hasn't got the ribbed block.
Cheers N
cheers N

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The easiest way of identifying the source of the 1275cc engine is look at the location of the oil filter. The 1275cc Marina/Ital has the oil filter at the o/s upper rear of the block.
The 1275cc Midget has the oil filter head bolted onto the o/s front of the block.
Check the block casting number which can be found on the n/s rear of the block.
Posting a picture of the engine on here will help in identification.

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I should have also mentioned that the oil filter is at the upper rear of the block, so it's definitely not off a Midget.
What other cars had transverse 1275 A-series engines?
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Running wise, it's going ok. Nearly 300 miles so far, no water loss and going quite nicely. MOT tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for me!
cheers N

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the 1275cc engine does not have the rear crankshaft seal housing as fitted to the Maestro the engine in all probability originated from a Morris Marina.
Transverse 1275cc engines can be converted to in-line configuration but it does require additional works and costs to achieve.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

An easier way than checking the crank seal (assuming the engine is fitted in the car) is whether the block is ribbed or not. In the unlikely event it is one of the relatively few engines converted from a Maestro, the block will be ribbed, as they were fitted with the ribbed A-Plus. If it isn't ribbed, with the filter in that position, it's most likely from a Marina. Not sure if any Itals were fitted with the A-Plus (I suspect they may have been) - that could be a confounding factor!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The 1275cc engine formally fitted to the Maestro can easily be identified without touching or stripping the engine as it has a seal carrying housing (modified) attached to the rear of the block. This seal housing is carried over when the Maestro engine is fitted to the likes of a Minor. The Minor rear engine plate is attached to the rear of the seal housing and the gearbox is attached to the rear of the engine plate.
Because of the inclusion of the seal housing the Maestro engine when fitted to the Minor results in the engine being moved approx 2" forward which is overcome by swopping the engine mount towers from side to side.
The Maestro has a different crankshaft to that fitted to the Marina/Ital in that it has a proper lip seal seat incorporated into the rear end of the crankshaft.
The 'A' Plus ribbed block engine was fitted to the Morris Ital.
Below is a photo of a Minor fitted with a Maestro engine. Note the additional seal housing between engine block and rear engine plate.
Maestro engine 1.JPG
Maestro engine 1.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3141 times
Below is the Maestro seal housing (unmodified).
Maestro rear engine seal plate.jpg
Maestro rear engine seal plate.jpg (419.62 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Mine is definitely a Marina engine then. Can the Maestro crankshaft & seal housing be retro-fitted to a Marina engine?

In other news, it passed the MOT.

Cheers N
cheers N

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I see no reason why the seal housing and the Maestro crankshaft could not be retro fitted to the Marina engine.
As a minimum the seal housing has to be machined/modified to suit. It is not a straight swop.
If you have a good 1275cc Marina engine I would suggest that fitting the Maestro parts is not worth the expense/effort.