Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Broken stud

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi

I just broke a front wheel stud, it sheared off when tightening up by hand. I was using one of the 4 way cross shaped wheel spanners.
I checked the others with a torque and my hand tightening might have been a little too much, but not much - maybe 50 to 60 ft/lbs?

I have Marina front hubs, do they take a standard "Front Wheel Stud (37mm) Code:SUS175" this is the description from ESM?
I have standard 3" wheels, I think.

The old ones always looked long, so maybe the PO or PPO used the rear wheels studs, when they were putting the calipers on the front rather than the back!

Regards
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Broken stud

Post by philthehill »

The factory torque setting for Marina saloon, estate and 440 van are 38 to 42lbf ft.

Marina wheel studs are different to Minor wheel studs and are not interchangeable. Therefore wheel stud SUS175 is not suitable.

The overall length of a Marina front wheel stud is 39.5mm. The splined part that fits into the hub is 1/2" dia. The thread of the stud is 3/8" UNF.
Last edited by philthehill on Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Thanks Phil

I will have a look for some Marina studs and back off the tightening a bit.

Regards
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

BUT, which wheels do you have? A lot of Marina hubs were converted to Minor PCD. This was done by filling the original stud holes and then machining new holes for Minor studs to take Minor wheels. Have a look at the hubs. If they have not been machnied, then you will need Marina studs; if they have been machined then you might need Marina or Minor.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Grumpys Marina to Minor PCD hub conversion used the Marina wheel studs. The threaded part of the Marina wheel stud is 3/8" UNF the same as the Minor.
I personally have not come across Marina to Minor PCD hub conversions with Minor wheel studs fitted.

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi

I am pretty sure they are minor wheels and the PCD is 4".
I have ordered these, "Wheel Stud - For Marina/Ford Steel Hub Disc Brake Conversion With Minor Wheel Code:SS31" from ESM. I hope they are the right ones - if not the ebay link looks like what I could have ordered.

Regards
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The wheel studs shown in the ESM link are not original Marina wheel studs.

I am certain that the ESM studs shown in the link are for the later non original Marina hubs which are supplied with the ESM Marina based disk brake kit.

Below is a photo of the original factory Marina wheel studs.
Marina wheel stud.jpg
Marina wheel stud.jpg (618.45 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

If you knock out the broken stud you will then be able to determine if original Marina or not from the dimensions / photo posted above.

To remove the broken stud you will have to first remove the hub and then remove the disk from the hub.

When you refit the disc to the hub the torque setting for the four bolts is 38 - 45 lbf ft.

The hub nut is not tightened as the Minor. The Marina hub has taper roller bearings and the hub nut should be tightened to give 3/16" of play at the wheel rim.

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Phil

Thanks for the comments on the studs - so far I seem to have got everything wrong!
On the positive side, I did not follow the Morris Minor wheel hub nut instructions from the manual, I used the Grumpy instructions, so my tapered bearings should not be over tightened.

I bought the van for the missus to transport her upholstery projects (good excuse, no?), if I don't get it back on the road and a chair in the back soon, she is going to give up on me!

Cheers
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you have a Grunpys hub set up the hub to stud arrangement is as below.
100_1821 (2).JPG
100_1821 (2).JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 1222 times
100_1823 (2).JPG
100_1823 (2).JPG (757.39 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
100_1824 (2).JPG
100_1824 (2).JPG (816.22 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Note the top hat insert to fill the original Marina 3.75" PCD stud hole which is then re-bored to give a 4.00" PCD.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

If it makes you feel any better David, I did exactly the same thing yesterday after adjusting the drums. I also did it by hand :x

Awaiting two new nuts and studs from ESM. I’ll keep a spare of each in case it ever happens again.

John
DCMVan70 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:27 pm Hi

I just broke a front wheel stud, it sheared off when tightening up by hand. I was using one of the 4 way cross shaped wheel spanners.
I checked the others with a torque and my hand tightening might have been a little too much, but not much - maybe 50 to 60 lbs”
Attachments
1B87F456-02B5-4210-9C9F-A317E79F0489.jpeg
1B87F456-02B5-4210-9C9F-A317E79F0489.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 1209 times
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi

Just as a summary - my hubs are the Grumpy ones like the photo from Phil, and yes the studs I ordered from ESM were not the right ones!
I did get some original Marina studs (Phil's link above, very good service) and they are fitted - all good. The top hat washers came out with the studs - if anyone else does this, I recommend you label the top hat washers and put them back in the same holes - helps with alignment. I tapped the studs in to get them started and then pulled them tight with a wheel nut on backwards and a washer - seems to be a nice smooth way to get them in.

While waiting for the studs, I decided to re-bush the suspension, and am now having loads of fun getting the ride height correct, but that is another story.

Regards and thanks for your help
David
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Are the top hat washers not welded in?
Where do you get the top hat washers from?
Thanks. John.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The top hat washers are just pressed into the hub.
The top hat washer stud adapter will have to be made as they are to my knowledge no longer available because Grumpys the original manufacturer is defunct and ESM do a completely new hub with 4" PCD and which is suitable for use with bearings which do not require the top hat spacer.
You may be able to find a good S/H Grumpys adapted hub or find a Marina/Ital hub and get it modified.

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Phil.
Is it unacceptable to just weld up the original stud holes on the marina hub and drill some new ones at 4" pcd?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Personally I would not weld up the stud holes.
The Grumpy/Marina hub is drilled out, the top hat washer installed with an interference fit and then the stud holes are drilled out using a indexing/rotary turntable to ensure that the new stud holes are at 4" PCD. Once at 4" PCD the new studs are pressed in.

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Phil.