Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

A few random photo's

Post by pgp001 »

I have just been sorting out some of the photo's I took when rebuilding and swapping my engine and gearbox. Rather than starting seperate threads I will just put them all together if anyone is interested.

Phil P

Rather than using a jack under the gearbox when removing the engine and box as one, I supported the box with a strap while I removed the crossmember, it was much easier than crawling under the car. Once the crane had taken its weight the strap could be removed.

The actual removal went surprisingly easily, the adjustable angle frame on the crane was well worth having. As was the extended bonnet stay to prevent the need for bonnet removal.
I did the lifting and adjusting while slowly pushing the car back out from under the engine until it was clear, the drive is very slightly up hill, so my wife followed up with a chock under a rear wheel to prevent it rolling forward again. I actually reversed the procedur to put the new unit in, but managed it on my own that time without any trouble.

Once the gearbox was removed I soon discovered the cause of my scroll seal oil leak, someone had been there before me and fitted one of the new seal kits, obviously no good at all.

This was the setup for checking crankshaft endfloat on my new engine rebuild.

This was my setup for checking the cam timing when assembling the new engine.

Removing some excess length from the Cooper S steel timing gear to obtain the correct camshaft endfloat.

Then fitting the tensioner to the new timing chain setup, these are the ones I got from PhilTheHill.

Checking the cam shaft for wear etc.

I told you they were a bit random, hopefully they will help other people to see how I work and give some inspiration.

Phil P
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: A few random photo's

Post by philthehill »

Nice to see a job done properly.
Well done.