Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

1275 Gearbox bearing needles

Post by GavinL »

so as a break from welding Vanessa I'm rebuilding gearboxes - 2 Minor 1098 and 2 Midget 1275 boxes, because you can never have too many gearboxes :D

Does anyone know the length and diameter of the needle rollers in the Midget gearbox mainshaft as I was hoping they might be cheaper from a bearing supplier than a car parts supplier.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: 1275 Gearbox bearing needles

Post by philthehill »

GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Thanks Phil, I'd seen them on the Moss website, and actually they can be got cheaper from some of the Mini suppliers http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... s_id=13091

But as I'm buying other parts from Simply Bearings I was wondering if they might be cheaper directly from a bearing supplier, hence my question as to the dimensions of the rollers
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You have a 1275cc gearbox or two spare - so as you are going to strip the gearbox anyway why not strip one of the gearboxes to determine and confirm the measurements.
When stripping the gearbox you may find that you do not need any roller bearings but may need other parts.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I stripped my 1275 midget gearbox to refurbish it and to be honest the needle bearings were in superb order so I left them alone.
To get to the needle bearings is fairly straightforward, getting the gear locking washer on is another matter.
I used a feeler gauge to hold the pin down and a pick in the hole on the washer to click everything into place.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Thanks both, sounds like i might not need them - once i strip the gearbox i'll measure and post here for future reference.