Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
le Gasss
MMOC Member: No

T9 clutch disc

Post by le Gasss »

Dear Minor's enthusiasts,

I owned Minor's since 20 years... I'm 43 at present... but in all the way, i never been 100% satsfy with the one i owned, cause it never been perfect... so i bought a good one which need some love.
I'm restoring my 1967 Traveller at present.
I will paint it in very closed time, and start to thinking about to put all the different parts in place in short time.

But I've got a trouble with the clutch?
The car has got a T9 5 speeds gearbox,
I would like to buy in new, the same clutch which is fitted on it.... but i can not find one new cause i do not know from where it comes from...

that's not the same diameter as original Morris/Midget, and not the same as the one sold by ESM for T9 conversion.

the present diameter of the clutch disc is 19cm, around 7,5 inches.
Inclosed pictures of the clutch kit...
if one of you could help me and tell me where i can buy one new clutch kit, I will be grateful...thansk in davance fro your help !!

sorry for my poor english level, but be sure that i'm doing my best :wink:
reagrds
Gasss
Attachments
IMG_4948.jpg
IMG_4948.jpg (141.2 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
IMG_4947.jpg
IMG_4947.jpg (202.33 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
IMG_4946.jpg
IMG_4946.jpg (224.33 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
IMG_4945.jpg
IMG_4945.jpg (248.32 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: T9 clutch disc

Post by philthehill »

Both
Pt No: 50803..........Pressure plate
&
Pt no: 57735..........Centre/driven plate

are genuine Borg & Beck part numbers.

Any good motor spares agent/factor should be able to cross reference the part numbers as I have a feeling that both part numbers have been superseded.

I believe that the pressure plate is a standard Morris Minor 1098cc engine pressure plate and the centre plate is a Ford item.
The Minor pressure plate and Ford centre/driven plate are both 7.5" dia.
The Ford centre/driven plate can be supplied with a different number of splines so you should count the number of splines before ordering new parts to ensure that you have the correct centre/driven plate.
If you are unable to source a new centre/driven plate locally this company will be able to help:-
https://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/p ... d-gearbox/

le Gasss

Post by le Gasss »

Hi Phil,
thanks for your help !
i will check the number of splines and will try to find.
if someone know exactly from where the clutch parts on the pics come from, you are more than welcome.
have a nice day
regards
Gasss
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I can't remember exactly what you need... but every MT75/T9 gearbox I have come across has a 1" x 23 tooth spline. FWD boxes have a smaller spline.

I have a T9 input shaft in my tool box specifically to be a clutch alignment tool.

That looks like a standard 1098 clutch cover to me and I think this may be the clutch plate you need https://www.burtonpower.com/std-clutch- ... 784af.html but double check the pictures and take the measurements you need too to make sure!
Last edited by Matt on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

le Gasss

Post by le Gasss »

Hi Matt,
thanks a lot for your answer... true it looks to be the same or closed... i just sent an e-mail to Burton to have their feeling...
I cross my fingers.
in anyway, thanks a lot :wink:

at present i am hesitating concerning the paint color to fit on my traveller... I've got a red interior, so i thought to paint it on rose taupe...
but at present i think that Yukon grey could be nice too... even if the traveller did not be painted in this color...

if someone have got some yukon grey traveller pictures... it could help me to make my choice...
what is your feeling about this ???

regards
le Gasss
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

How about Peat !
le Gasss

Post by le Gasss »

I come back to you to keep you in touch...
Burton has got the clutch plate... but not the pressure plate... !!??
if someone could help me, i will appreciate
thanks
le Gasss
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The pressure plate is a standard 1098 morris minor one, available from any morris minor supplier :)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The pressure plate is a standard 1098 morris minor one, available from any morris minor supplier :)
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

Slight thread hijack but have you got a hydraulic clutch with concentric slave cylinder for the Type 9 box?
If so I would like details
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The T9 release bearing is concentric whether it is hydraulic operated or not as the release bearing is kept central to the clutch/first motion shaft by the release bearing tube which is bolted to the front face of the Ford gearbox.
Whilst the hydraulic concentric release bearing is nice to have it is not essential.
My own hydraulic concentric clutch release mechanism is part MG Midget, part Marina with the release bearing mounted on a carrier provided by CS Auto Classics way back which is fitted on the Ford release bearing carrier tube and operated by a modified Midget release arm. The mechanism deals very well with a very strong 7.5" diameter racing clutch.

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

It's fairly easy to mount a concentric slave on a type 9 if you havf access to a lathe, i did it on my elan which is fitted with a type 9 25 years ago (pre smart phones anc digital cameras!) Basicaly you take the front bearing retainer / oil seal carrier off the type 9, machine off the tube the release bearing normaly slides on then clean up the front of the outer flange.
Take a piece of alloy bar approx 5" diameter and machine the back of this to mount on the front face of the bearing retainer and the front with a hole in it to carry the slave cylinder. Then simply drill 4 holes through using the beaing retainer as a guide and 3 more on the front using the slave as a guide (these need a m6 thread tapped in them), with some longer bolts to fix it to the gearbox it all bolts up.from the front.

The thickness of the release bearing carrier will depend on the release bearing and clutch you use.