Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel pump

Post by Mark Wilson »

I purchased and fitted a new SU conventional (not electronic) pump after the diaphragm on my old pump went porous. This has been ok for a couple of weeks of occasional engine starts, but yesterday I found that it wasn't delivering fuel. Soon sorted with the old tap the pump routine, but I had fitted this for reliability, so not at all happy. Is this a case of adjusting the points, or should I return it?

And just to add to my woes the solenoid packed up at the same time - an unfortunate series of events! I had a new solenoid, which I hadn't fitted as it doesn't have the button for mechanical switching from within the engine bay, which I often find useful. Does anyone supply the solenoids to the original pattern?

Mark
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Fuel pump

Post by myoldjalopy »

You may well be able to rectify the pump by fiddling with the points - but, if you can't, you may find your warranty is then void. If it were me, I would talk to the supplier first. Hopefully they will replace it with no quibbles. It certainly shouldn't have given trouble so soon after purchase.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Good point (no pun intended). I've contacted ESM who are happy for me to adjust it and return it if that doesn't work.

Has anyone had experience of the electronic version, ie are they more reliable?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I don't know Mark, but in over 35 years of Minoring, I have only twice had issues with the original SU pump - and in both cases it was simply a matter of replacing the points. If an electronic one went wrong, would it/could it be fixed so easily?