Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Timing cover leak solution?

Post by Declan_Burns »

This is what it looked like from the front after peening. It has been on the car since 2011.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
PICT0820.JPG
PICT0820.JPG (588.09 KiB) Viewed 678 times

Regards
Declan
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by pgp001 »

Declan

I think that modification to the tensioner assembly was done so as to be able to fit it to an engine that does not have the clearance hole for the head of the pin in the front plate.

I fitted a duplex kit and chain tensioner on my spare engine rebuild and had to drill the large clearance hole in the front plate for the pin head, Phil H kindly sent me a template for its position. The engine was totally stripped so that was an easy option for me, but if you were fitting it to a car with the engine in situ the countersink and peening approach would negate the need for the front plate to come off the block for drilling.

I agree with Phil H that there should be no reason why that pin will not fit from behind as intended, the alloy plate has the clearance hole already in place from what I can see in the photo's.

Phil P
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

i have now resolved this. New pin arrived today from minispares and i dismantled it AGAIN (last time i'll tell ya!). Assembled as Phil recommend from the rear outwards.
newpin1.JPG
newpin1.JPG (29.19 KiB) Viewed 626 times
newpin2.JPG
newpin2.JPG (34.68 KiB) Viewed 626 times
newpin3.JPG
newpin3.JPG (54.35 KiB) Viewed 626 times
finished.JPG
finished.JPG (67.24 KiB) Viewed 626 times
fitted fine. So the moral of the story is don't buy cheap parts. Buy from the best suppliers (minispares). So the tensioner does fit with the correct pin and the alloy cover does fit fine. I also fitted a new duplex set as i thought the old cooper sprockets and chain were probably 50 years old now. Less slack with the new duplex set, but i still wanted to use the tensioner so now there is a little play but alot less.

hopefully everyone can read this in the future and have some fun. I certainly have and won't be in the shed at 6am this coming sunday morning!
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

forgot to add that in the kit with the alloy cover, you get a protractor. This has the correct TDC timing mark for your crankshaft pulley damper/wheel.
pulley wheel.JPG
pulley wheel.JPG (40.17 KiB) Viewed 626 times
All you do is cut a small notch in the pulley wheel and it makes your timing easier. The other marks to the left are, i think, 4 & 8 degree before TDC.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well done for hanging on in there!

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done from me also.
I have just received two tensioner pads for the timing chain tensioner assy. Genuine Cross + Morse as per factory original. Awaiting two new pins so it will be interesting to see how they compare with the factory supplied pins I already have.
The part numbers are:-
Mounting bracket.......12G2628.
Tensioner pad............12G2621.
Pin.............................12G2629.

To add to the general knowledge - the torque of the camshaft nut is 70lbf ft.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Many thanks to all contributors for my original question.
I have 2 A+ engines, and will fit ALL of the above to them.
John