Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Noisy Recon Diff

Post by Monty-4 »

I got tired of whiney eBay differentials a year or two back and bought a recon/exchange unit from Moss.

After not driving the car for a while until recently (rusty o/s rear spring hangar needed sorting) I was reminded today that it still whines!

Could it perhaps be the half shafts or should I be getting cross with Moss?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Noisy Recon Diff

Post by les »

The trouble with meshing gears often arise when they are taken from different sets and then run together. I suppose your rear wheel bearings are ok ?

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Monty-4 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:31 pm I got tired of whiney eBay differentials a year or two back and bought a recon/exchange unit from Moss.

After not driving the car for a while until recently (rusty o/s rear spring hangar needed sorting) I was reminded today that it still whines!

Could it perhaps be the half shafts or should I be getting cross with Moss?
Likely the latter. But some are particularly sensitive to the slightest of sounds...
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Rear wheel bearings are fine as far as I know. I had a good look in there when I recently fit the Wolseley rear drums.

The Ford 5-speed also whines a little in some gears, so it all adds up to just a little too much to count as "old charm" and crosses into "tiring drone" for me. But I am quite sensitive/obsessive when it comes to the Morris.

Annoyingly they're probably the most difficult or expensive mechanical jobs possible on the car, I'd far rather do another clutch or engine rebuild!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The half-shafts will not create a whine as they are tied at one end by the hub and at the other by the differential gears.
As Les says above the gears have to be correctly set or whine can be experienced. Also the diff and wheel bearings have to be in good condition.
The type 9 gearbox is an easy overhaul and in some ways better and easier to do than the Minor box.
Type 9 spares are readily available.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Is it advisable to pull the gearbox and rebuild at home then? If I managed to not mess up the engine build, perhaps I'll manage a gearbox.

Seems an attractive option versus a bill of several hundred and sending things across the country via pallet.