Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Brake Fluid

Post by myoldjalopy »

I'm gonna have to bleed my brakes - anyone know how much brake fluid I will need to do this properly and not run out part way through?
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Brake Fluid

Post by kevin s »

A litre should be more than enough.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thank you, Kevin. Any thoughts on whether the brakes should be adjusted normally when bleeding, or locked up? I'm sure I have heard of people doing it both ways but can't see why it would make any difference, except that when locked up the cylinder piston can't move out when the pedal is pushed down?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don’t know about being locked up but they should be adjusted maybe just binding, have you considered silicone fluid. I’d us nothing else on a minor.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Handbrake applied will sort out the rears. Bleeding is fast down and slow up, with the pedal if bleeding with two people. No point in risking the shoes possibly allowing air back down the line while closing the bleed nipple? I expect it would simply possibly mean using/losing more fluid than necessary.
Chill59
Minor Friendly

Post by Chill59 »

les wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:00 pm I don’t know about being locked up but they should be adjusted maybe just binding, have you considered silicone fluid. I’d us nothing else on a minor.
Why is silicone better in a minor Les?
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Why is silicone better in a minor

The technical response is that silicone types, unlike glycol types, are non-hygroscopic.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, so you don't have to change it like ordinary brake fluid. But from other posts on here and elsewhere, there seems to be divided opinion on silicone v. ordinary fluid with some saying silicone is harder to bleed and gives a softer pedal. A bit like the perpetual points v. electronic ignition debate....or Champion v. NGK spark plugs. I suppose it depends on your actual experience - good or bad - as to whether you recommend something or not.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Only had good experiences with silicone - filled in early 2000!

Alan
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Silicone fluid is a contentious issue, the advantages are it is not hydroscopic and doesn't damage paintwork, disadvantages are it has a slightly lower boiling point than new dot4 (only an issue on high performance cars and dot 4 is worse when it has water in it), costs more and some people claim it has caused seals to swell if a system has been used with dot4 (they are supposed to be compatible though).

My personal summary is if you change dot4 as recommended every couple of years it doesn't make a lot of difference and at least your bleed nipples stay free, I wouldn't put it in a system already wet with DOT4 or a modern with complicated ABS either.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I have midget disks on the front. When I fitted new callipers about 2 years ago the paperwork clearly stated that they are not suitable for silicon fluid. I don't know if its the seals which are the problem.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I run with Ford disks and I have not changed my Silicone fluid for 10 years. Before I hade to refurbish the rear cylinders every year. I replaced the whole braking system with copper/nickel pipes and filled it with Silicon brake fluid about 25 years ago. Never had a problem in all that time. Used it on my Honda CB400T.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.