Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Max. Power of Morris diffs

Post by Andymoor94 »

Hi guys,

I've seen many engine swaps use different diffs to help support the output of the new engine. These often come with entire axle swaps too.

But lets say, purely theoretically... [throws a blanket over the spare 80bhp Zetec SE engine in the garage]

What sort of power could you safely put through a Morris diff, without the need for an axle swap?
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Max. Power of Morris diffs

Post by philthehill »

Over the many years I have been competing with my Minor (135 bhp plus at the flywheel) I have only had the standard 4.55 diff fail (sun gears) once.
Standard diffs are relatively cheap and widely available and will not break the bank if the need to replace arose.
7" wide slicks are fitted to alloy wheels. The axle is well located and fitted with anti -tramp bars. The half-shafts are heat treated and guaranteed to transmit 178 bhp.
I can easily smoke the tyres even with a S/C C/R gearbox fitted at a standing starts.
With standard half-shafts and no anti-tramp bars fitted I would suggest that the standard Minor axle can cope with around 60 bhp - 70 bhp.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree with Phil that you're unlikely to give any standard BMC diff any trouble with those power outputs - and if you did there are plenty of diffs available and easy to change too. I have competed in sprints and autotests too using standard diffs using a well tuned 1340cc Midget engine running through various standard differentials and standard halfshafts too. Been lucky maybe but never broken anything :wink:
Last edited by ManyMinors on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I’ve only smashed one diff, although the odd half shaft has given out. I suspect that half shafts are the usual weak link in the minor back axle. A diff would likely be already well worn, should it give way.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Diff strength is very much determined by how you drive it, snap start the clutch in and you can generate torques double that of the engine torque.

Sideshafts seem to be the one thing that fails commonly but this more related to fatigue than strength, even standard minors can fail them eventually higher torque will just bring it on earlier.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I ran Abby, my old 1000 two door, on a standard 4.22 diff with a 1275 under the bonnet. The diff never gave me any cause for concern.
I did however have two Ford type 9 gearboxes fail on me, before I swapped back to standard Minor 1000 gearbox and never had any more trouble........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)