Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Cordless grease gun

Post by jagnut66 »

Well I can't find my original flexi hose, so I suspect it's been unintentionally 'tidied up'............
However I found these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154339053741
At £5.50 plus 0.95p postatge I thought I was getting one hose and nozzle but when it arrived I found it is literally as pictured, two flexi hoses and two nozzles. That works out at £3.19 each (including half the postage), so I call that good value! :P
Flexi hose fitted to the grease gun with 'G' coupler, I was left with one spare hose and two standard nozzles.
Then it hit me.......... (no not the grease gun).......
Whenever I top up the oil in my steering racks I always wonder how much has actually got into the rack. The standard nozzle on my pump action gun has no means of gripping the nipple, it sort of floats on top, reliant on me to keep it located whilst I pump it, under the parcel shelf, at an awkward angle.......
However, whilst inferior to the 'G' coupler when greasing the various grease nipples around the car, the standard nozzle does have a gripping mechanism of sorts, which is one step in advance of the original nozzle attached to my pump gun.
Having undone the original nozzle I was pleased to find that the threads were the same, so I now have a pump gun that grips the steering rack nozzle, leaving me free to concentrate on pumping the oil in. :)
Original non-gripping nozzle.JPG
Original non-gripping nozzle.JPG (281.98 KiB) Viewed 839 times
Replaced with new nozzle that grips.JPG
Replaced with new nozzle that grips.JPG (827.29 KiB) Viewed 839 times
It would have been nice though if the designers of the Minor had thought about the angle of the steering rack oiling nozzle in relation to the position of / distance from the parcel shelf..................
C'est la vie...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The original nipple fitted to the Minor steering rack is an oil nipple not a grease nipple. The female end of the grease gun will not grip the oil nipple. The discharge end of a oil gun is concave and just rests on the nipple. When the oil gun is pumped it pushes oil through the oil nipple. Oil nipples are not designed for high pressures transfers and most oil nipples empty into voids.
As you have found you can change the oil nipple to a grease nipple.

Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

The fitting shown by Morrisjohn was recommended to me by a friend so I got one. Made in South Africa apparantly. Always the problem before was fixing on to the nipple where the grease would go sideways under pressure from the gun. You needed three hands!
Very good tool I think.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]