Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

oil leak

Post by Classiccars »

hi ran the car today with the choke on for 10 minutes and noticed oil on the floor.It came from the small can behind the radiator and out of the pipe attached to it.No idea why
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: oil leak

Post by Edward1949 »

Classiccars wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:29 pm hi ran the car today with the choke on for 10 minutes
Don't know about the oil leak, but it's bad practice to run a car for this length of time on choke (unless you mean you had the choke control pulled out just enough to increase tickover speed but not far enough to enrich the mixture - which is absolutely fine :) )
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Totally agree.Got caught up messing with the consul capri.Would not normally do such a stupid thing.Lesson learned
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Any ideas on what happened with the leak please gang
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Is it the breather can attached to one of the engine side covers? And the pipe going to the back of the air cleaner?

If so the first thing I would check is that the pipe or small hole in the air cleaner stub is not blocked.
Last edited by kevin s on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

What happened to the picture ?
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Edward1949 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 pm ... it's bad practice to run a car for this length of time on choke
What's the issue if you do this?

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

To my knowledge - fouling plugs with carbon, carbon build up on the pistons and valves, fuel washing oil from the cylinders and causing wear, fuel contaminating oil.

Sounds like the original poster has a full oil separator in the breathing system or a leak from a join.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

KeithL wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:12 pm
Edward1949 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 pm ... it's bad practice to run a car for this length of time on choke
What's the issue if you do this?
As you don’t know, here are a few reasons.

Over-rich mixtures cause: bore wear due to oil dilution/washing, unnecessary carbon deposits in the engine,

Emissions in exhaust cause: pollution of the atmosphere by unburned particulates (like those they complain about from diesel engines, only more),

Your pocket is affected by the unnecessary wastage of fuel (unless someone else provides your fuel)

‘Nuff to be going on with, I am sure.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

oliver90owner wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:51 pm As you don’t know, here are a few reasons.

Over-rich mixtures cause: bore wear due to oil dilution/washing, unnecessary carbon deposits in the engine,

Emissions in exhaust cause: pollution of the atmosphere by unburned particulates (like those they complain about from diesel engines, only more),

Your pocket is affected by the unnecessary wastage of fuel (unless someone else provides your fuel)

‘Nuff to be going on with, I am sure.
I was aware of the last two, but not of the first one, so thank you - I'm glad I built up the courage to ask.