Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nwxh
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Clutch squeal

Post by nwxh »

Recently I noticed a squeal occasionally when lifting the clutch up nearly to the top. It can be louder if more load such as if I'm pulling away with some gas.

I've also noticed a squeal twice (so not always) when starting just after the engine catches but this may be unrelated.

Any ideas?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Clutch squeal

Post by philthehill »

How old is the clutch especially the clutch centre plate?
The squeal could be the clutch centre plate worn out.
The only way to check the condition/serviceability of the clutch is to remove either the engine or gearbox and examine both the centre plate and the cover. Check the condition of the release bearing at the same time.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I agree with Phil, but before you resort to removing engine or box, are you certain that the squeal is coming form the clutch and not, for example, the fan belt / dynamo / water pump? Can you reproduce the noise at will, it always happens when the pedal is iat the same point? Is the pedal adjusted correctly? When driving on the open road, if you accelerate hard, is there any slip on the4 clutch ie the engine revs increase without the car going any faster for a few seconds?

It probably is the clutch, but worth considering all possibilities as noises can seem to come from different places. Could it even be the starter motor / bendix? At least that's easy to check and has ro be removed when splitting the engine and box anyway.
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

To the best of my knowledge, it's always the clutch being at the same point. It is not just a case of balancing the accelerator and clutch as I can do it without accelerator. There's no sign of clutch slip.

I can believe something else like fan belt/alternator being the issue on the basis of the engine being replaced recently and other parts inspected at the time. The clutch was not replaced at the time but the boot was. Could the clutch pedal actually be contacting the starter motor some how? Maybe I should visit the garage and see what they reckon tomorrow if they're free.
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

I called them but they think that the noise is just the carbon release bearing slightly vibrating and that the noise may go after it wears a bit more (different person last time I called who wasn't sure exactly what it could be.). They offered to check the release bearing from the rubber bung but sounds like it's unlikely to suddenly stop working suddenly.

I should definitely be more careful keeping the clutch down in traffic. But if I'm the front or second from front car in lights, I never want to be too slow pulling away and the car doesn't always go into first gear easily without going via second etc.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The release bearing should not squeal unless it is worn out. The release bearing vibration ??????
Take up their offer of examining the release bearing. Make sure that you look as well and take a photo if possible through the bung hole and post on here.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Again, I agree with Phil. From what you now report, it does sound more like a clutch problem. Just to add, do NOT sit in stationary traffic with the clutch down. This WILL wear the release bearing - it is a sacrificial carbon construction and not a roller bearing like modern cars. If you are saying that the engine was swapped recently and the clutch inspected and passed as OK, then the bearing will not have worn that quickly, but handbrake on, neutral, foot off clutch is the best thing. Unless on a steep hill, the car should pull away quite happily in second.

If the noise was not present before the engine swap, then it's something that has been done or happened recently. If the noise was there before the engine swap, then the clutch should have ben replaced at the time of the swap.
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

I'd say 1,000 miles since engine swap (can double check if need be), of which a lot is in stop-start traffic. The noise has only been there recently. So it is possible that I rode the clutch too long. :oops:

Could the plates look fine but still wear out after a similar length of time? Sadly the nature of driving is about 1.5 hours of start-stop traffic a week, even though that's around midday or after 6:30pm to avoid peaks.

Presumably it would be hard to justify going to the extent of taking the clutch out if it never slips?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just because it does not slip does not mean that the clutch is serviceable.
If the release bearing is worn and metal to metal contact is happening that will not produce the condition of clutch slip only screeching/squeal.
The only way you can determine if the clutch assy is serviceable is for the engine or gearbox to be removed and the condition of the clutch assy examined.

nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

The release bearing can be examined from underneath, while it is a lot of work to get either the gearbox or engine out. :cry:

If it does come out, would you reccomend upgrading to a hydraulic with rolling bearings given the kind of driving I would be doing? Or is that asking for more trouble? If I do go down this route, can I just risk the current clutch dying?

e.g. https://www.morrisminorspares.com/clutc ... ch-p829573
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As regards the roller release bearing - I have a similar item fitted to my Minor and it works well. Anything to replace the archaic carbon release bearing is a bonus.

serowman
Minor Friendly

Post by serowman »

Could it possibly be the spigot bearing,have known it on other vechicles
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

serowman wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:26 pm Could it possibly be the spigot bearing,have known it on other vechicles
Does that go with the engine? Would seem unlikley but it's under warranty if that was the case. Otherwise it's possible.

Looks like the hydraulic clutch is either unavailable or a fair bit more expensive on another website. :(
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

Hi thanks for the replies.

On the way to the garage in broad daylight, I noticed the noise was absent. So I decided to turn on my headlights. You can probably see where this is going: fan belt loose..

So I guess what was happening is that pushing the clutch in meant that the headlights were drawing current from the battery and lifting the clutch caused the engine to kick in.

So I the advice was spot on to rule out other causes! Weird that I didn't get it at other times except perhaps twice starting the car.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Sorry, can you explain that again, please? I can't see how "pushing the clutch in meant that the headlights were drawing current from the battery and lifting the clutch caused the engine to kick in." Why would pressing down the clutch pedal cause the headlights to draw current from the battery? Regards the loose fanbelt, are you suggesting it was that which caused the squeal?
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:39 am Sorry, can you explain that again, please? I can't see how "pushing the clutch in meant that the headlights were drawing current from the battery and lifting the clutch caused the engine to kick in." Why would pressing down the clutch pedal cause the headlights to draw current from the battery? Regards the loose fanbelt, are you suggesting it was that which caused the squeal?
Despite having the idle speed higher than usual to try and minimise battery loss when waiting in traffic, it will still draw from the battery at idle speed with headlights on.

It was indeed the fan belt.