Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Tidy up the wiper motor

Post by culp »

Hello, I want to clean up the wiper motor on my 1970 Traveller. It works fine I just want to take it to bits and clean up the shiny bits and clean out all the old horrible grease. can anyone point me in the right direction for tips on how to take it apart without ruining it :roll: Im not keen to unsolder the wire as I think I'll get in a right mess trying to solder it back on again.
Morris Minor Lucas DR3a wiper motor
Morris Minor Lucas DR3a wiper motor
PXL_20220108_124405814.jpg (596.4 KiB) Viewed 636 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Tidy up the wiper motor

Post by geoberni »

Unsoldering that connection is the only reasonable way to separate the parts, if you intend to strip it that far. That circular cap is the 'parking device'.
I wouldn't advise a blow lamp, but it really is the simplest of soldering jobs.

However, you might find this guy's video of interest: https://youtu.be/MjF4xnXnhd8

It's not a Minor Wiper Motor, but the design & operation seems pretty much the same.
Basil the 1955 series II

culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Culp Whilst you're bracing yourself for the unsoldering and then re soldering ( you'll be fine ) do take care with
the retaining clip.
The wrap-over tab needs delicate handling. Lever with , increasing in size , flat screwdrivers. Work the tip of the blade underneath the tab ( avoiding damage to the wire insulation ) and gently " rock " one side of the blade
along the length of the tab. No more than a millimeter at a time. Use a larger screwdriver and rock / lever the tab up further as you go. Stop when you have enough of a gap to release the wire , go no further than necessary.

Brute force / " we''ll have this separated in one go " approach usually results in a split tab. Then you're in
real trouble.
Don't make the school boy error of not putting the wiper stop mechanism cap into the main wiper cover plate
first , when it comes to re-soldering the wire. Gently replace the tab with a gentle squeeze of a pair of pliers.
Once you've cleaned up the old / dead grease around the gear wheel etc. and before you re-grease the area
( cotton buds and wooden lolly sticks are handy ! ) check the end float. It should be between 0.008" and
0.012". If not , slacken the exterior lock nut , adjust with a feeler gauge and screwdriver and tighten the lock nut.
Good luck with it. Bob
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Soldering....easy-peasey , if you're around Manchester give me a PM.

John ;-)
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

thanks all for the advice