Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

oil on sparkplug nearest bulkhead.

Post by Chief »

Hi :)

Okay our minor hasn't been on the road much (as in at all) in 4 months (since it passed the MOT).
Now the main family car broke down, so we've turned to the trusty minor. After it sitting for 4 months we had of course got a flat battery, and slightly stuck brakes, once the battery was charged the car worked fine.
It's made 3 trips (probably a total of 20-30 miles) and all went well.

However today (I was at work so only just found out) it wouldn't start. So on looking at the spark plugs i'm told there is oil on the sparkplug nearest the bulkhead (all the other plugs are fine and dry) and I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions to how and why this oil is getting in onto the plugs.
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

Could be a number of things, but most likely a head gasket if it's just gone. Could also be piston rings or very worn valve guides (probably not though).

I have started Minors though with only three cylinders firing. Are you sure it was oil?

I would clean all the plugs and try running it again, then after a trip, whip the plugs out and have another look.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I'd have also thought it unlikely about piston rings etc as it had a total rebuild 7 years ago. I'm assured it was oil and also that they've tried drying the plugs but the engine just wont start. Does that make the diagnosis of a head gasket look more likely?:)
Cam

Post by Cam »

Well, it's possible I guess, but what are the other plugs like? It should fire up on 3 cylinders and just run roughly...
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

sparkplugs are in good condition (not that old if I recall they were fitted a month or so before the MOT) and the engine doesnt start, all that happens on pulling out the starter is the starter motor trying it's best but the engine fails to start.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

No idea about the oil on the plug, but have you done the usual checks as to why it won't start? Check for a spark and fuel, and fix wherever necessary :)

Does it start on the handle?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Compression test will tell all. But this sounds like an ignition problem to me - take the #1 lead off and connect it to a plug lying on top of the engine - then turn it over with the handle and watch for a good spark. No spark - then start tracing back down the ignition system - start with the dizzy cap and the rotor arm, then the leads to the coil and the dizzy, then the points gap. And treat it to a new set of plugs - they are only £1 each !
ImageImage
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Aye, I'd say it sounds more like some sort of problem elsewhere in the engine; even a very very sick A series will normally start and run. Not necessarily well, but it'll normally go.

I'd start off, as BMC suggested, looking for a spark, if you've got a decent spark then check you're getting petrol...
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

okay i'll look into that. Like I said the plugs are quite new. But i'm sure i've got some in an engine kit if need be.

It's still strange how it was fine the other night and then the gremlins get in and next morning nothing. :)
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Just checking but are you sure the battery is still fully charged? When we sorted out the bypass hose she spun the starter motor but wouldn't start, until we jumped her! Glad to hear that she's getting used :)
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Could just have been moisture in the dizzy cap and rotor arm - leading to flooding when trying to start.
ImageImage
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

well yesterday afternoon it started, and has been going fine since im told (though only a little ride round town in it). So maybe it's okay but certainly will have to check the plugs etc.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Take it out for a good thrashing to clear out all the gunge! Then check the plugs - should be a nice fawn/light brown colour with no oiley mess.
ImageImage