Cutting out / running on

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

I ran a HS4 on a 1098 with a large bore exhaust and K&N air filter with no problems. It ran great. The needle I used was the AAM.
Cam wrote:Incidently, if it's a HS4 or HIF38 then a AAM needle is a nice one.
With your larger bore exhaust and HS4 carb, the AAM needle should be pretty close. What air filter are you using?
leafie
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by leafie »

Cam wrote:I ran a HS4 on a 1098 with a large bore exhaust and K&N air filter with no problems. It ran great. The needle I used was the AAM.

With your larger bore exhaust and HS4 carb, the AAM needle should be pretty close. What air filter are you using?
Thanks cam,

It's fitted with the standard air filter, do you have details of how I can get hold of the AAM needle.

Thanks
Leafie
Cam

Post by Cam »

Yes, virtually any Mini supplier should be able to get one for you for around a tenner (well they were about 10 years ago!).

Minisport, Minispares etc.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

I've heard Burlen Fuel Systems is another good place :)
Cam

Post by Cam »

:lol: :roll: Yes, of course! Burlen! Straight from the horse's mouth! :wink:
leafie

Post by leafie »

Packedup wrote:I've heard Burlen Fuel Systems is another good place :)
Thanks for the info, the AAM needle CAM advised is on the way from Burlen who said it sounded good to them, so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks all,

Leafie :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But if the only problem is cutting out when slowing down - is the idle speed maybe a bit too slow ? Just for interest - what needle is in the carb as standard ?
ImageImage
leafie

Post by leafie »

bmcecosse wrote:But if the only problem is cutting out when slowing down - is the idle speed maybe a bit too slow ? Just for interest - what needle is in the carb as standard ?
The needle fitted to the carb originally is an ADG but as the previous owner fitted the carb I have no way of knowing if the needle is that or any other! I did try increasing the idle speed but that just led to the car running on. Spoke to Burlen and they said the AAM needle runs richer apart from at idle speed and therefore gives more flexibility on the mix adjustment and should stop the cutting out when stopping from 25 mph +.

Just as a side issue I have found that working your way down the gears whilst braking reduces the number of cutting out instances, but as this is against the way I was taught to drive (stop in the gear your in as brakes are cheaper than gearboxes) I’m hoping the AAM needle will solve the problem. As many of you will know I was looking for a car for nearly a year and fell for this one at the Chatsworth Rally, other than this cutting out problem the car is as perfect as I could wish and was worth the waiting for (shows you can get what you want if your patient) so lets hope this cutting out gets sorted.

Regards,

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

do you have oil in the dashpot of the carb.
i would say possibly tickover speed a bit low as well
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

If you eliminate the carb, ignition and overheating problems as causes, then air leaks into the intake manifold (gasket) or coked up engine are two possible other causes of running on.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

this is against the way I was taught to drive (stop in the gear your in as brakes are cheaper than gearboxes)
Hello Leafie, this advice is sensible only when it relates to a modern car with disc brakes. :o Minors have drum brakes which are less efficient and they can't quickly dissipate the heat produced during braking. If you need to repeatedly brake (for example going down a steep hill) then you will suffer severe brake fade. It tends to be a lot cheaper to replace a gearbox a few months earlier than to pay for the damage caused by a crashing car! :roll:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Running on - is a different problem altogether - just raise the idle speed to stop it 'cutting out' - but also try advancing the ignition timing a bit - keep going till it pinks then back off slightly. Also check if the vacuum advance is working correctly - is it even connected ? I doubt you need a needle change - it just needs setting up.
ImageImage
leafie

Post by leafie »

Fitted the AAM needle today and weakened the mixture as advised by burlens. Did 60 miles today on mix of open road and traffic went like a dream, cutting out problem and running on appear to be cured.

Thanks to everybody for the advice.

Cam

Post by Cam »

No problem leafie! Good needle the AAM isn't it? :D Glad you are back on the road and enjoying the Traveller. :D
leafie

Post by leafie »

Hi Cam,

Yes the needle you recommended seems to have done the job.

Did you get the pictures of the car I sent you ? only the first time I sent them I got a failed delivery report.

Regards,

Cam

Post by Cam »

Leafie, I've sent you a PM, as I've just got a failed delivery notice to your e-mail address. I got your last e-mail though. Car looks absolutely great! :D