Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SR
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

waxoyl

Post by SR »

well, being having a go today, pumped a gallon in all told,heated up , until watery, tried the parrafin gun from machine mart , with compressor, ok for cuple of mins then blocks solid, maybe cold air cools it down quick, then tried the oil suction/pump gun, this is the kiddy, pull the plunger to fill,put hose in cavity a one big push,goes a long way,lots of pressure there,lots of the black stuff delivered very quickly, it hits the target with force and splatters everywhere,lovely jubbly :D
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1070767
Willie
Minor Legend

Waxoyl

Post by Willie »

STEVE, brilliant, it has never let me down so squirt it into every nook and
cranny. What a beautiful car.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

thanks mate ,likewise, u gonna make the hop this year?
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Steve, you can dilute the waxoyle with white spirt, when warm. Mix it up thoroughly then spray it nice and thin, the white spirit will evaporate and allow the thinned wax to penetrate even the smallest gaps. :wink: 8)

Willie
Minor Legend

'Hop'

Post by Willie »

Steve, I'll do my best. Might be a clash of dates as I am taking a bride to her
wedding in September, will have to double check the dates. Anyway I don't
want your car to show me up!
Willie
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

oh well hope u can make it , great laugh last year, a load of us started following some old boy ina traveller, and he got lost , we got back to start point nearly an hour late :lol: :lol: :lol:
Willie
Minor Legend

lost

Post by Willie »

Been there, done that!!
Willie
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

What about surface prep before putting on the Waxoyl? I'm just about to go over the chassis on my van but I'm worried about just sealing the rust in with the waxoyl. I tried some a couple of months ago on the chassis which had all the loose rust removed and was sound and dry. Waxoyl was nice and runny but when I scraped some off recently to see how well it had coated the metal there was a layer of fine dry powdery rust underneath. Easy enough to go over again but I didn't expect to see it there. I'm also worried about the inside of the chassis. It was a replacement Henrics one and was Waxoyled from new. Should I just spray over again with fresh runny Waxoyl or is there a danger that I could be trapping in corrosion and making it worse?
Blunt
Minor Friendly

Post by Blunt »

I'm planning to waxoyl this summer, so I'm interested in your delivery system steve.
what do you mean by "the oil suction/pump gun"? is it that thing in the foreground that looks like a grease gun?
M25Van...I was wondering that too.

I'm all ears :D
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

I'm the same. Mine will be done this summer after a nice long dry spell. :D
I've tried Waxoyl and Dinitrol on clean rust free steel sheet and left them outside in the weather. Both have resisted the elements and you can see that the metal is still rust free underneath. So both will stop metal rusting, it's just how well do they cope with metal that has already started to rust. Doesn't it just seal the rust in? and if that's what the inside of your box sections or chassis is like could it be doing more harm than good.
I guess this has all been discussed a few times before but it is just such an important thing to get right. Are the people who swear by the stuff starting with a relatively rust free car to start with and so have great success.
I have had a lot of panels replaced at the front end and they were sprayed with a wax coating (3M I think) and then a top underseal type coating. The parts that only got the wax stuff are still brand new looking after a couple of years and look like they will stay that way. What I would like is something similar on the rusty bits. :wink:
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Waxoyl will not stop your car rusting if rust is already present. It does not treat rust but only provides a barrier coat over the metals surface. The only real option is to remove all traces of rust by shot blasting or acid dip , paint then waxoyl.

M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

That's what I feared. I don't have access to a sand blaster so it looks like lots of graft will be needed. I think I'll clean off as much as I can and try something like POR Metal ready to finish it off before waxing.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

also is it true to say that rust also needs oxygen to oxidise.
pylons in the sea for piers, once they have an outer crust of barnicles etc will not rust anymore, due to lack of oxygen. or have i got that wrong as well
Onne

Post by Onne »

Well, it's the oxygen that does the oxidation, so that sounds right
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

That makes sense but I didn't expect to see any rust at all. After all the Waxoyl is supposed to 'kill old rust' or so it says. :roll:
I think I'll have to do some more 'tests' of my own to see what works for me, waxoyl, dinitrol, supertrol etc. I just wish there was a more definative answer on how to rustproof your car, although I think Jonathon has the best answer so far.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Its best to remove the old rust, and paint the underside of the car with rust retardant paint (red oxide, zinc primer) etc, then a top coat of choice, before waxoyling.

Waxoyl keeps oxygen and water away from the steel.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

for easy to reach places, try using one of those bottles for cleaning windows or spraying plants. it works as long as you keep it hot., but for box sections (the places that matter) something with a bit of kick is what you want.

M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

That sounds like a good idea, I had tried a cheap one but it didn't give a very good spray pattern, more a jet. Looks like the rust has to come off first, one way or another. I'm still worried about what's inside the chassis and what the effect of coating it with waxoyl/dinitrol will do. :-?
There has to be a way of dealing with it.......
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes jonathons is the best way, but we can not all ways go that route.
other thing is to constantly check areas, although if you had a rusty peice of metal, and poured oil on it would it still rust away?
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

aupickup wrote:although if you had a rusty peice of metal, and poured oil on it would it still rust away?
Given the leaky nature of the A series, surely that can be answered by seeing which bits of a Minor don't rot! ;)