Redoing coachline.

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JimK
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by JimK »

Aaah! I've seen all sorts of colours but not that one. And a touch-up pot would be a good size for doing a coachline, methinks. (Well, better than a spraycan, anyway...)

Ta.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

has anyone ever seen teh stick on coachlines? Mine has them but after too much washing and speeds reaching 50 they peel off, really cool to watch though.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

has anyone ever seen teh stick on coachlines?
As mentioned by Chickenjohn
Looks so much nicer than the stick on tape.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

sorry wasnt paying attention!! Minds on other things.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

sorry wasnt paying attention!!
Thats a problem I often have....................
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

When we re- did the coach line, we bought a roll of masking tape that is approx 6mm wide. W put the tape where the strip was going to be, then carefully put tape above and below, then removed the centre strip to leave the area to be painted. I think that the tape was fron Band Q.
nebogipfel
Minor Fan

Post by nebogipfel »

8009STEVE wrote:When we re- did the coach line, we bought a roll of masking tape that is approx 6mm wide. W put the tape where the strip was going to be, then carefully put tape above and below, then removed the centre strip to leave the area to be painted. I think that the tape was fron Band Q.
If you want to use this method I would recommend "fine line" tape. It gives a much cleaner line than masking tape.

The custom fraternity use it quite a bit to produce nice fine stripes on sprayed panels

FWIW stick on coachines are much more effective if they are laquered over. It prevents them from peeling and gives a much more pro' glossy finish - only really useful if you intend to have a clear laquer finish on your car
John

1969 S4 Lotus Elan
1955 SII Traveller

Opinions expressed are of course, my own :)
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Why not buy a roll of the special tape from Frosts -see previous page £12 looks good for the proper job and I'll buy the half used roll off you to do mine!

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Why not just get a skilled painter to add the coachline afterwards. They can do it both sides of the car, by hand in seconds and it looks a million times better than a strip of tape!

If they only charge 1 hour labour or so then I would imagine its not too expensive.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

ChickenJohn, my car has a hand painted coachline by ESM, they did it by hand in a darker blue and thinner and I'm very happy with it. Its not original but it looks quality!
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

JimK, I have an Almond Green Traveller first registered in Jan 1969. The coachline is actually a gold stick-on affair. I don't know whether it's original, but I think it looks good set against the green.
Regards, Neil.
sii803
Minor Fan

Post by sii803 »

So where does the coach line finsih. On stripping the paint back on my 54 Series II, I discovered a pin stipe below the rear window, also on the rims (it was also in the usual places too). Is this possibly original or is it a period mod? By the way I believe it is empire green, and the stripe was a pale yellow.
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

I know the early cars had coach line on the wheels but not on the molding at the back under the window.

sii803
Minor Fan

Post by sii803 »

No, i havent ever seen anthing like it, and not for want of liiking, I'm assuming that its not factory. But it was so convincing as it was on the original top coat (hidden by layers of paint) and it matched that on the doors and wheels so well.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has seen this pale yellow on the empire green, or if they have seen the coachline on the molding under the back window.

:D
MGs
Minor Fan

Re: Redoing coachline.

Post by MGs »

Having tried the masking and hand painting with poor results (I had to remove all of the paint, a messy job) I went down
the stick on line for my smoke grey saloon. According to the spec dark blue is the colour to go for so I went for this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Easy to use, not at all messy and fairly cheap. Not sure if it will peel of at speed, I'll keep an eye on it.
Old car owners don't die......they just rust away
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

It won't. Make sure you've got any air bubbles out by running your thumb nail gently along the line.

Try http://www.pinstripinguk.com Make the stencils. You paint in between, so you end up with a straight handpainted line.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

No bubbles, I used my thumb to push it down hard once I had it lined up :D
Old car owners don't die......they just rust away