Converting 2dr to Convertible...Instructions??

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bbcobmike
MMOC Member: No

Converting 2dr to Convertible...Instructions??

Post by bbcobmike »

Hi,

New to this forum but hope to contribute as well as take advice and tips etc. I have restored a few Minor 4drs over the years but have just bought a 2dr and have the urge to convert it into a convertible.

I wondered if anyone had a set of instruction they could email me or post so that I can see what is involved.

Also has anyone advice on where the best hoods are obtained as a kit or who can make a bespoke one that will fit and not leak.

Many thanks, Mike
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Have a google for Cantebury Convertables, they sell the full kit and instructions for the 2 door conversion.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Or try John at Mid Sussex Minors as he makes most kits for the trade and has produced a DVD to help you on your way with cutting fitting etc. :D

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Are there actually going to be any 2-doors left in a few years time? they're all getting turned into convertibles!!
I have the urge to try and turn a convertible back into a saloon just to be awkward! :D
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Convert it from a 2 door first then as even completely rotten convertibles are fetching £800+ at the moment :P
bbcobmike

Post by bbcobmike »

Thanks folks.

Mid Sussex Motors looks the best deal at the moment.

A local MM guy based in Reading quoted me £3,000 to do a conversion and this was him farming it out to a company in Somerset and then just adding on a mark up.

Mike
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Has nobody got a simple PDF of what needs doing?

If the original requester has the engineering skills to do the job it'd save a lot of money.
I'm sure various strenghtening plates and whatnot could be made and not 'bought'. Also hood frames and hoods can be obtained either 2nd hand or from suppliers - again probably cheaper than within a 'kit'.
What would Macgyver do..?
rupert
Minor Fan

Post by rupert »

I think you can get all the panel required from your freindly neighbourhoods parts supplier. The only tricky think I am aware of is the top of the screen. Don't bother with a good get a tonneau instead!
rupert
Minor Fan

Post by rupert »

that should be hood not good...