Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

MIG WELDING

Post by davidmiles »

For repairwork on floor pans, door sills and body outer panels I'm looking at buying a MIG welder that works on domestic current levels for home use, there are two types, the first uses a bottle gas like argon to provide a shield over the area of work, the second has a wire spool that releases a shield gas as it melts. what do members with experience of MIG welding recommend?<br>Image<br>
nezza
Minor Friendly

Post by nezza »

Hi, in my experience the co2 gives a much cleaner weld and not as much spatter,I found it much better to work with than flux cored wire,good luck,neil.
eastona
Minor Fan

Post by eastona »

Looks like you'll be doing a fair bit!

If so, you may be better off going for a gas shielded one and getting a large gas bottle rather than buying loads of small ones.

Andrew
Maggie, 1969, 4 door, Almond Green.
And Project "Traveller"...
[sig]4253[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Gasless MIG does work ok - although is less capable on very thin metal. Cost wise the wire is more expensive than using a sheilding gas.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

well thats three out of three for shielded gas so far, thanks.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Make that four out of four.
I'd also consider buying a reconditioned spot welder. Many welding suppliers can supply these at a reasonable price (£200-300). They are excellent to use and are good on thin steel or areas that you don't want to put too much heat. Go for a powerfull unit which will give you production quality welding.
If you are up in the Midlands do call in and I'll gladly show you what they can do.

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Hi J, thats great advice as always, thanks. I know you can also get extensions for spot welders to get to those difficult to reach places.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Definately get a gas one! I was talking to someone about this on another forum a couple of days ago and I would get a good quality second hand one rather than a new DIY type one!

Having said that people have had good experience with Clarke welders from machine mart
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Dont get a SIP/Cosmo Welder. They are a pain in the backside

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Why's that then Dan, what's the problem with them.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

check out mig-welding.co.uk they are renowned for wire feed problems which helps to make for a really cruddy weld.

Quickly found this
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=640

stiguk
Minor Fan

Post by stiguk »

machine mart do what looks like a good mig 151te-turbo-mig-welder
dan or matt might be able to tell us if its ok or not
[sig]9488[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

one thing to consider is if you will be using it outside,If most of your welding is to be done outside you need to use the gas less type because if not then you will be limited to windless days,If its windy then the wind blows the gas off the weld and you can get poor quality welds.I have both types use a gas fed(mix of argon and co2),and small gasless which I use when I cant get inside. Buy the best you can aford, cheap ones will only weld properly for a few minutes before the transformer overheats and cuts out,then you have to wait for ages before you can do another two or three inches,and on and on very frustrating
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

I use a Clarke 100E that I've had about 14 yrs , Its done quite a lot of work over that time & only recently started playing up overall I've been happy with it & had no problems welding car panels although I am thinking of getting something with a bit more power now
Mig-Tig-Arc in Portsmouth are worth a call & they also do the big gas bottles
http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/
[sig]7538[/sig]
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

hello i have a cheap halfords gassles welder and in the right hand its a very good welder perfecly suitable for cars how often will you use it paying hunderedas of £,, for one does not make any sence but those who know better will shoot me down wire is dear but not messing getting bottles ect .grandad
Leo
Minor Fan

Post by Leo »

My Clarke 120 with a Binzel Torch must be 20 if not 25 years old and despite working very hard over the years has never given any trouble.
Good advice about buying a used professional Mig, after all we have lost most of our engineering businesses so there should be plenty to choose from.
One thing to be wary of is the wire can go rusty if left unused for a while, just run a few metres off before you start welding.
Binzel Torches are good quality and spares are readily available.
Once you have set up the wire feed tension it lasts for years. 0.6 wire seems to be easier to use especially with thin panels.
Replacement shrouds and tips are relatively cheap.
I have found bolting the earth wire to a good earth on the car can improve welds.
I would recommend BOC Argonshield Gas in I think it is the Y Bottle.
Messing about with plain co2 and those dinky bottles will only cost you more and the quality will be poor.
BOC charge about £70 per annum rental and about £45 for gas, it may seem expensive but it will be the cheapest in the end.

Finally get yourself a good angle grinder and plenty of discs, again much cheaper if bought in bulk

Leo 69 Traveller
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

how often will you use it paying hunderedas of £,, for one does not make any sence
Have you seen this man's nightmare? I think he will use it more that often!!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I ended up paying £16 (yes that is right) for my mig welder 2nd hand because it was advertised as broken. I put a fuse in the plug and all has been well apart from an occasional annoying fault where the liner pushes through the housing (2 mins to put right).

Its a Sealey Supermig and I think its fantastic!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

davidmiles wrote:Why's that then Dan, what's the problem with them.
Good God! I nearly made that comment about SIP, but then thought-no, everyone knows that already! Shows you shouldn't presume things! I bought a secondhand SIP welder in the full knowledge of their feed faults, but it was cheap, and by re-working the feed mechanism considerably it now works a treat. But most sane people wouldn't want the hassle! That mig welding site is excellent for advice of all sorts. If you go for gas, don't use those silly little white disposable things- about 20 minutes gas for £12. Sealey do re-fillable canisters in various sizes, much more economical if you can find a local stockist.
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

I have a Clarke 135 Te and its been superb. The wire feed is really nice and consistent. It was a superb machine to learn with and now its getting a lot of use.

However the chap at the shop assured me the 150 amp model I picked off the shelf was far too big for what I needed and the biggest I should even consider going was 135. Now I really regret listening to him, there's not much difference in the price and if you find yourself wanting to work with thick steel its a right pain, besides its better to have a bigger welder running less often at full power as it will last longer.

Im now having to consider upgrading to a 180 amp or buying an arc set as well.