Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Gear cover thing.

Post by Chief »

okay I dont know the precise name hence the subject title. (luckily I have a link to a picture)
http://www.morris-minor.co.uk/p421.htm

I don't mean GCP103-108 I mean the big chunk of metal they connect to. So could someone tell me what the name is and (if anyone knows) and if anyone knows of any going cheap somewhere in the UK (Charles Ware had said it would need replacing and I guess there's no time like the present. :o )
edd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by edd »

Thats the gearbox tunnel cover. There are some differeances in these as the earkier ones are smaller (i think). You should be able to pick it up quite easily s/h. Im suppriesed that this has rotted.

Edd
[img]http://www.virginstudent.com/fileserver/upload/588/861/410/cars.jpg[/img]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Chief if you fill in your whereabouts someone local might have a spare locally.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Weird for this cover to rust - normally the underside gets sprayed by oil. A scrapyard or minor dismantler (several listed in the rear of Minor Matters) should come up trumps.
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

Do take note, as edd says there is a difference altho they should both fit to the floor.
The earlier (well '57ish) has a wide hump the for the lenght of the hump, the later ('68+ at least) has a cut away that gives you more foot space. I'm not sure if this was because of a difference in the 1098 gearbox but I doubt it - I figure both should fit.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I've never seen one rusting either - the combination of engine oily fumes at the front, plus gearbox oil sprayed on the back half plus a bit of grease sprayed fron the UJ at the very back end make it normally a very well protected part...
Maybe you are one of the lucky people with no minor oil leaks??
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Cam

Post by Cam »

Maybe you are one of the lucky people with no minor oil leaks??
Slight edit to that comment Ray:

Maybe you are THE one lucky person with no minor oil leaks?? :lol:
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

ive got a few around :D
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

i havent got any i know of.........
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Cam

Post by Cam »

ive got a few around

No leaks at all?? I seriously doubt it, even taking into account that you are a Moggy dealer and you want to make a good impression!! :lol:
_h_____
Minor Friendly

Post by _h_____ »

talking of leaks despite replacing the gasket the timing chain cover still leaks, OK so it is only 1 teaspoon full, but every day on the garage floor. Could the housing be bent? I am about to just buy some of that bodge it gasket seal you see in frosts auto rest. Someone please tell me I am not alone on this one!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

please tell me I am not alone on this one!
you are far from alone.
The timing cover is a poor design and the cover deforms when the fasteners are done up tight (overtightened?). When you dissassemble and rebuild with a new gasket there isn't enough clamp load on the gasket half way inbetween the bolts.

I've used a gasket sealer sealer on this one as you don't want to do it twice.
In addition you want to flatten the covere at the bolt points and make sure the elongated washers are all present otherwise it is more likely to distort the cover.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

"No leaks at all?? I seriously doubt it, even taking into account that you are a Moggy dealer and you want to make a good impression!!."

Sorry cam, thats a bit neat for the new year. the morris' i have with no oil leaks are nicely tucked up in bed. i have some of those gearbox covers around in my life that i dont need. this is what the post was about, and anyone is welcome to them.
PS. i am not a dealer just because i have a huge collection of morris things. It's been my hobby for the past 25 years and the collection has come from salvaging parts that other people were throwing away at the time. I've been involved in restoring a large number of morris minors over the years and am a qualified mot tester. Not a morris dealer.
best wishes and Happy New Year
:P
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

the cover was rusty when we got the car- BEFORE we got the new chassis :oops: that explains why it's rusty :( If it wasnt for an oil leak we would have had to replace all our chassis.
Also on the subject of oil leaks, ours does lose a few drops after each run, but the car has been at max on the dipstick for several months :D never seems to drop 8)

As to the cover, i went on a computer game shopping spree and am i bit skint now (well makes a change from morris minor window rubbers and draught excluders) :lol: 8)
Cam

Post by Cam »

PS. i am not a dealer just because i have a huge collection of morris things. It's been my hobby for the past 25 years and the collection has come from salvaging parts that other people were throwing away at the time. I've been involved in restoring a large number of morris minors over the years and am a qualified mot tester. Not a morris dealer.
Ah right, sorry Brixton, I thought with you being an MOT tester that you would have your own garage and with you offering so many parts (even difficult early ones) and the odd car that you were a dealer. No offence intended :wink:

By the way, my comment about your cars not having leaks was not intended to be a commment on your ability as an engineer, but at the general leaky nature of the Minor!!!! :lol:

As for the gearbox cover issue, I have a few and they are all in pretty good condition, as has been mentioned previously probably due to the amount of oil sprayed over them over the years.
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

i never mentioned the oil leek situation, i was talking about the g/box cover. you picked up on the wrong thread. the post is about gbox cover not oil leaks.

i also have a collection of triumph motor cycles none of them have oil leaks either. {yea if you belive that,. we will never stop a minor or triumph leaking oil, best wishes cam i dont want to break the rules of the club. it realy is a love of my life for a long time and if i cant put my collection to use it will all have to go in the skip, and we dont want that. i do have a garage but i only spend my spare time there, mainly freezing cold nights and weekends. i put much more in then i have takern out cam. :wink:
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

ps my 1st owners club membership number was in the 5000's i did not stay a member, other things happened and i broke my membership it so i have a much later number now. wish i could get my old number back.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

maybe you can buy it back :lol:
Cam

Post by Cam »

Brixton, yeah it seems like we got our wires crossed (that's what you get for reading the posts in sequence!). Still, no harm done. I too have a fair collection of bits but I am still collecting as I have not been into Minors for anywhere near as long as you have!

Shame about the number thing but it's only a Minor issue :wink:
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

Regarding rusty gearbox covers - I have a few of these and most have some rust but all is in oil free areas i.e. The lips where they attach to the floor and surface rust pitting on the top side but nothing that goes right through.

Nothing a bit of primer-filler and the odd touch of spot putty can't repair.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]