Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David53
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Underseal

Post by David53 »

When I restored my car I decided to leave the original underseal on. It is still in good condition but obviously now very dirty. If I lift off the underseal the car is mainly shiny green original paint underneath.

I am toying with the idea of removing it bit by bit and re-sealing, or painting the underside and inner wheel arches etc simply to have the car look as good underneath as it does on top.

What would you suggest as far as treating the surfaces once I have stripped them back?
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

David
Think long and hard.It's all about time ,money and the end result you want to achieve.
Quick and cheap ? You said it was in good condition. Wash down the dirty underseal...power washer or scrubbing brush and a hose pipe.Respray/ brush on new underseal.Cover up the mechanical stuff well before applying.Job done.

Removing old underseal, even if you are very careful with a hot air gun and plastic / metal scraper , will result in a scratched surface on your paintwork.If a concours finish is required, you will have to go down the route of paintstripper, back to bare metal,wings off respray and either a stone guard coating or fresh underseal.

As you have done your restoration, I'm assuming you are confident that all the metal work underneath is sound ?

It is only the mechanic ( you ? )/ tyre fitter/ vehicle inspector/ Concours Judge that sees under the vehicle. The public just look
at the shine on the chrome and the paintwork....if they are interested.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob