Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Donalds
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Window rubbers/seals

Post by Donalds »

Hi my 1961 2dr will be going in for a full respray very soon and I am also going to replace all of the window rubbers/seals not dure on exact name for these (the black rubbers round the windows) does anyone know where i can pick up enough of this to have all windows re done ? any advice appreciated
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Re: Window rubbers/seals

Post by Neil MG »

The front, rear, quarter light and side windows have shaped seals and are available from all the usual sources. You could buy the profile and make your own front and rears, but I don't think you would save much. The door glass had felt originally and you can replace with that or a modern coated rubber seal. The bottom of the door glass has two weather strips.

The door frame and quarter light can be removed as an assembly to change the quarter light to door seal. If you are going the whole nine yards then the quarter light can be prised out of the frame (starting from both ends) and that seal can be replaced or re-used too. By coincidence I just did that today!

I just realised the door glass part is more applicable to painted frames, rather than stainless.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Donalds
Minor Friendly

Re: Window rubbers/seals

Post by Donalds »

Neil MG wrote:The front, rear, quarter light and side windows have shaped seals and are available from all the usual sources. You could buy the profile and make your own front and rears, but I don't think you would save much. The door glass had felt originally and you can replace with that or a modern coated rubber seal. The bottom of the door glass has two weather strips.

The door frame and quarter light can be removed as an assembly to change the quarter light to door seal. If you are going the whole nine yards then the quarter light can be prised out of the frame (starting from both ends) and that seal can be replaced or re-used too. By coincidence I just did that today!

I just realised the door glass part is more applicable to painted frames, rather than stainless.
ok thanks for the advice I think I will just buy them complete seemed like a good idea at the time to make my own :lol: