Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RTanguy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Passenger door won't shut properly

Post by RTanguy »

Just brought a 50 year old Morris Minor 1000 (4 door). All seems to be in pretty good condition, theres a slight issue with the passenger side door though. It doesn't shut properly, and seems to be catching at the bottom of the window. Its the original door so it shouldn't be an issue with the size, is there any adjustment in the hinges or other adjustment in the door?
Thanks in advance!
Robyn
Lucy :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Passenger door won't shut properly

Post by bmcecosse »

Is there any 'play' in the hinges? Can you lift the door when it's open? Or is the panel where the hinges bolt on moving obviously as you lift the door?
ImageImage
pyebibby
Minor Fan

Post by pyebibby »

isnt that suppost to happen ;) at 50 i think i would droop a little bit!

18 year old Morris Driver
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

There's a bit of play in the hinges when the door is open, but the panel the hinges are bolted onto seems solid. Do you think undoing the bolts and then tightening them back up again with the door lifted up would sort it out?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

If there is play in the hinges- they need reconditioning. You need the right sized drill (11/32", I think)

remove hinges from A pillar and door.

Drift out the old hinge pin, drill out to size and drift in the new oversized hinge pins.

You will probably need oxyacetylene to loosen rusted screws and bolts.

If the hinge pins are worn and the door droops then it will never shut properly.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Does the door shut properly if you lift on the handle then shut, if so it probably is hinge wear, however be sure before tackling the job above as its rather tricky, hinge bolts may shear off and getting the gaps right when you re-fit is a swine. Have a look at the striker, dovetail and socket plates, are the retaining screws loose, have they dropped or moved back/forward, if so they may need adjusting. The driver door hinges are usually the first to show signs of wear as it is used much more than the passenger side. Good luck.

RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Thanks for your help. I dont think it is the hinges as there isnt much movement in them and as it is the passenger side door. Just having another look at it and it seems to be catching/rubbing against something.I have also noticed that the plate where the latch sits is missing a spring so is constantly in, could this be the problem? The door will shut but only if you pull it shut through the window from the inside.
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

I've just been having a go at fixing the door again no luck! There is little or no movement in the hinges so I doubt its that, and I've tried putting masking tape along where the door shuts to make sure everything is lining up with latch, striker plate etc and all lines up but the door still won't shut, the only way I can stop it popping open is to lock it! Is it possible that the metal of the window frame could be bent inwards at all? The top part of the door fits perfectly but the bottom half is nearly an inch from being shut!
I'm not sure if that all made sense, I can post pictures if that would help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I think all my passengers are getting fed up of worrying about falling out of the car!
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Sounds rather odd, possibly bottom hinge needs moving inward, how much structual welding has the car had, could there be body distortion. A few pictures would help.

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Has the sill finisher been taken off recently and not put back properly?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The latch plate is adjustable, it may need moving slightly or you can try swapping the driver and passenger sides over
Last edited by mike.perry on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

I have only had the car about a month so not 100% on that stuff but from what I know it has had very little structural welding and it is the original door. It has new(ish! probably well over ten years old but the car was barely used by its previous owner) sill finisher plates i think.. they are the cover bits to the sills right? so maybe thats the problem if they aren't right! I hadnt even thought of that so will have a look.. what would it look like if they weren't put on right?
I will upload some pictures when I get a chance/it stops raining!
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

RTanguy wrote:The top part of the door fits perfectly but the bottom half is nearly an inch from being shut!
Is this half inch only at the door pillar end or the full length of the bottom of the door, when shut does the door follow the line of the front wing or does it progressively 'stick out' from the wing from top to bottom.

RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Its mainly around the B pillar and i suppose the bottom edge of the door sticks out a fair amount too. Where it meets the front wing it looks pretty much the same as the drivers side door which is fine.
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Thank you for all your help.. the door is finally closed!! ASL642 you are a genius.. Had the sill finisher plates off to fit seatbelts at the weekend and magically the door shuts perfectly without them. When compared to the plates on the other side they are a totally different shape :evil: Looks like they are rather homemade and stick out way to much meaning that the door has no chance of shutting. A friend of mine has managed to alter them a bit for a temporary fix but says he will make me some new plates that actually fit soon so my passengers don't have to fear for their lives when I go round corners!
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Good stuff, glad you have got to the bottom of it and your door now shuts, funny thing with the minor that when working on a completly different task other things get sorted.