Wider Wheels and Brake Upgrade

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RunJMC
MMOC Member: No

Wider Wheels and Brake Upgrade

Post by RunJMC »

I have a morris 1000 and I would ideally like to fit it with wider wheels and upgrade the front brakes to disks as my stopping is not to sharp at the best of times. My knowledge of mechanics is limited to say the least but i do have friends who are quite experienced. How would you recommend is the best way of achieving this?
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Re: Wider Wheels and Brake Upgrade

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Wider wheels; possible to get van ones which are wider, but these are quite rare and go for £50+ per wheel unpainted. Minilites are the other option, available new from the suppliers. http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 56ec759f9d Both of these wheels will be a straight swap.
WIth regards to disc brakes this is the kit to go for, it just bolts on so any mechanic can do it. http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/store/ ... roductId=9 You will also need to modify the master cylinder or buy a new modified one http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/store/ ... oductId=15 you will also probably want a remote fluid reservoir for the extra fluid capacity, and it makes checking the fluid easier http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 56ec759f9d
If this is out of your budget, or you want a few other options this thread gives you pretty much everything you will need to know.
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... ilit=+disc
___Anne___

RunJMC

Post by RunJMC »

Yeah, bit out of my price range to be honest... i'm 17 so i'm working on a very tight budget. Thanks for the help though, might save up for the minilites if i cant find anything cheaper.
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Are you on http://www.facebook.com/groups/MMOCYM/ The brake upgrade can be done much cheaper, I modified my own master cylinder and got a second hand marina brake disc kit with a servo for about £200. A second hand set of minilites with tyres is only around the £250ish mark, and a set of 13" slotmags can be had too, maybe a bit cheaper also.
___Anne___

RunJMC

Post by RunJMC »

Ah that's brilliant, i'll keep an eye out, that's much more viable, thanks. I've requested to join the facebook group as well so thanks again for pointing that out to me.
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

In the meantime, it might be worth investigating alternative friction componds, there are plenty of brands, Ferodo, Padgid Mintex etc.
These may help until you can get funds together
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

polo2k wrote:alternative friction componds
Oooh well get you being all technical :P I did ask about different brake shoes on here a while back, but got no meaningful response, except new old stock ones are better if you can find them. Would be interested to hear any more info :)
___Anne___

Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

I've got ebc green stuff pads on the front and ebc shoes on the rear. They have a sharper feel than the ones made from Weetabix. Bring back asbestos I say. Friction compounds have not been so good since on standard parts. EBC shoes can be obtained on ebay and do make a noticable difference.
[sig]6530[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just overhaul the drum brakes - when in good order, they stop the car just fine. Where do we get EBC shoes for a Minor ???????
ImageImage
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

Im not even sure if they are made tbh,I would have thought that they were a reasonably common size.

Padgid (as available at euro car parts) are pretty good and boast massive oem fitment

I use uprated compounds on my daily (Mk4 Golf) Originally I had 288mm front discs and 254mm rear discs. I now use Ferodo ds2500 (I think) pads all round and the matching discs at the front (uprated to 312mm from an audi TT). This particular pad has rubber in the compound to quickly bring the pad up to temperature. Braking HARD from around the ton makes you feel your pulse in your face!

I know a guy who is a big classic supplier in Germany, when he is back off holiday I will ask him if he knows where to get alternative friction parts.
- Ash
Image Image Image
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

Ebc shoes for the rear part number 6237. Available on ebay for £22.90.
[sig]6530[/sig]
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

£16.95 on Camskill website. :D but plus postage. :(
It's a shame EBC don't do a drum for the minor....
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

I think that EBC do some modern grooved drums, it would increase maintenance but would help offset the additional heat (with the deglazing theory) from increased friction, although ducking may be an idea. maybe they can offer it as a service thats not in the catalogue, maybe a machine shop with an indexed bed could do something?

On the thought of ducting, what if you placed an intake in the chassis rail under the engine mount, then ducted the rear of the chassis rail out to the drums, it would need the airflow round the master cylinder adding but maybe the overall increase in airflow would help preserve chassis legs, with rust proofing to avoid the fresh moisture doing damage.
- Ash
Image Image Image
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I've never seen Minor rear brakes to be much more than slightly warm. Trouble is - harder rear linings will seriously reduce the handbrake efficiency - I used to run VG95 linings on the back of my Minis - had to stick in a set of standard linings to get it through the MOT... The answer of course for a Minor is to upgrade to 8" Wolseley rear brakes, which actually use 8" Minor front drums.....
ImageImage