Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Paint codes & bodywork / trim colours

Post by palacebear »

Minors were never available in red. Various Maroon shades over the years, or red on Royal Mail vans. Tartan red was an Austin and MG (?) colour for paint (circa 1959-1970) and upholstery (and Morris colour for upholstery only). Have a look inside a glovebox for evidence of original colour if you're lucky :)
1956 4-door called Max
pingis
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by pingis »

Thank you palace bear. That's what I thought. The paint job on the visiting Minor was very well done and everything looked like the car had been red since new. I would guess someone had the car resprayed red many decades ago since the paint looked old but still not shabby. If it had been my car I'd keep it in red since it really looks nice.
[sig]8915[/sig]
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I kinda agree. I noticed a quite nice looking red 2-door with Rover brm seats and minilite wheels etc on fleabay today. Wasn't taken by all-red bumpers though!
1956 4-door called Max
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly

Post by Apolaustic »

Dear All,

I've just obtained a heritage certificate for our 1966 tourer (now white with red hood) and it tells me that it was originally Dove Grey with a Pearl Grey hood and Cherokee Red trim ... I wonder, does anyone have a car in those colours? And, if so, please could you post some photographs?

Thank you.
Apolaustic
1966 white/red convertible (1098cc with alternator, electronic ignition & brake servo)
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

Here are pictures From Charles Ware’s
094326A5-CE89-43D0-9F80-979120F5FEF3.jpeg
094326A5-CE89-43D0-9F80-979120F5FEF3.jpeg (326.3 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
website
Swijesiri
Minor Friendly

Post by Swijesiri »

Hi all
I'm hoping someone here could help me. I have a 1971 van that's been converted to a pick up. I want to do some touch ups, but can't work out the colour. I assumed it was Almond Green but the sample is well out.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Screenshot_20210308-163733.png
Screenshot_20210308-163733.png (2.56 MiB) Viewed 8477 times
Screenshot_20210308-163711.png
Screenshot_20210308-163711.png (2.43 MiB) Viewed 8477 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

It depends on when it was painted, if it is faded or if it needs a good T-Cut.

If' you're confident the colour of the car is as 'bright' as it can be, then try and get a colour match from a place that will make up the paint for you.
Basil the 1955 series II

Swijesiri
Minor Friendly

Post by Swijesiri »

Your totally right. I'm on the hunt now for a good paint shop in South London, fingers crossed!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If it has been converted to a pick-up, it is likely that it was re-sprayed - possibly even a different colour to the original.... and I am sure you have checked whether the interior is a different shade to the exterior (in case only the exterior was sprayed). But if it is the same shade of green inside and out, 'geobernie's' advice would seem the way to go - unless someone can come up with a definitive guide to 1971 LCV colours!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

This is an old post ressurected.
Whatever happened to the original poster, 'LouiseM', by the way?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

bufferzone wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:36 pm Here are pictures From Charles Ware’s 094326A5-CE89-43D0-9F80-979120F5FEF3.jpegwebsite
My car is a '63 convertible in Dove Grey, and the colour looks like the picture on the right of the Charles Ware postcard. A couple of years ago I had a new front wing, and it was sprayed with Dove Grey (at a very well known Morris Minor establishment) and the wing colour looks like the picture on the left.

Interestingly, depending on the brightness/natural or artificial light of the day, the wing either stands out like a sore thumb or else it almost blends in. I thought the difference in colour might be due to exposure to the sun, but areas of the dashboard (where the sun doesn't shine!) are much closer to the grey colour in the picture on the right - a lighter, less 'green' shade of grey.

Next time I need a panel re-sprayed, I think I'll take a panel (boot probably) to a car paint supplier who can colour match to my preferred grey rather than use the 'offical' Dove Grey.
Swijesiri
Minor Friendly

Post by Swijesiri »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:09 pm If it has been converted to a pick-up, it is likely that it was re-sprayed - possibly even a different colour to the original.... and I am sure you have checked whether the interior is a different shade to the exterior (in case only the exterior was sprayed). But if it is the same shade of green inside and out, 'geobernie's' advice would seem the way to go - unless someone can come up with a definitive guide to 1971 LCV colours!
Your right its been resprayed at some point, and I feel the color is non standard having just forked out £40 on sample paints and not found a match. So decision time, i either save up for a full respray which makes sense as i have the flat bed to paint as well or i try and get everything blended in. This might have to wait till next year - i suppose Rome wasn't built in a day!
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Why is the link in the very first post of this topic unavailable?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Don't know, perhaps it was a temporary glitch because it's working for me right now..... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Oh - I'm getting a 404 notification - I get this a lot on this site
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Nourish wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:22 pm Oh - I'm getting a 404 notification - I get this a lot on this site
Ah, sorry, I've just re-looked, I hadn't noticed there were 2 links in the first post. You're right, the link to Paint Codes is a 404 Error, I only saw the Potteries link. :roll:

Some of the really old links have broken over the years due to random changes behind the scenes. It does happen on forums. A professional Forum I use had a really big issue with broken links after a software upgrade.

But for Paint Codes, try this link. It's a pdf hosted on the Charles Ware site:
https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/userfile ... _codes.pdf
Basil the 1955 series II