Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GPO_Van
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Fitting front bumper

Post by GPO_Van »

Have been struggling to line up front wings, grill and bumper, all are nearly correct now (loosely fitted nuts and bolts) with the exception of the front bumper valance.
Have now realised I need a rubber grommet! or do I, I can not make out where it would go if fitted, see photo'
The rear of the traveller has one, the rear of the salon is different (pan109) but one of the suppliers says they are also used in the front, but the parts list does not show it[.
Any tips
Thanks
Reg
frame]Image[/frame]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Fitting front bumper

Post by aupickup »

no rubber on the front
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

tip: bolt the mounting bar, valence and bumper together, then bolt them to the car. no rubber grommets. :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I agree with the last post, put your bumper iron, valance and blade / over riders together, then bolt it all to the front of the car, using plenty of copper grease, so it will all 'fall' apart again when you need it to come off at some point in the future.
You will need a couple of little grommets (2 each side) which fix via a self tapping screw to the folded edge / lip of the front wing where it touches the bumper valance, these act as spacers and keep the wings / bumper valance from scraping / rubbing against each other.
See link below.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=2272
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

hey thanks for that. my wing buffers were so perished I didn't even know they were there! :D
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Does anyone have a spare nut that goes onto that thread I need one :D
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

1/2" BSF
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

bumper iron can be fitted eitherway round and ive found the holes are never in the middle so fir it the way to suit, if you have issues maybe tring turning the bar round, ive always found a huge difference....
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

Thanks aupickup, that sorts that, and bufferzone I put them together as you suggested, just to see if it helps and yes, when I have everything ready I’ll do it this way as I could see what bits fit together. (See picture)
Jagnut66 thanks for link can’t actually see any self-taper holes to see where they go, and I never noticed any on the strip down, any picks anyone?
PaulTubby if you look at my pick no end is the same as another!
Thanks for all the input
Reg[frame]Image[/frame]