Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nam
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Replace all floor or patch it?

Post by nam »

Hi,

Just wanted some advice on the floor panels only.

I have had a good look at the floor and it feels solid in some areas and in others it will just crumble with a hammer. I would say it is something like 60% solid overall. So my question is should I just buy four new floor panels and get it all done or get someone to fabricate pieces and weld. Few people have told me to cut out the rot only and patch. I'm failry sure I will find good metal in most places. The centre both ways is solid. Also if patching then what thickness should I get for the floor?

I will be getting new outer under sills and sill finishers.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
1957 Morris Minor 1000. 4 door saloon restoration back on!
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Replace all floor or patch it?

Post by irmscher »

Buy new floors or you will only regret it after as patching solves nothing
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

irmscher wrote:Buy new floors or you will only regret it after as patching solves nothing
i agree if you patch you will have welding to do for every mot. New floor panels and a good coat of paint will last years 8)

Fairford,Glos
Enjoy life in the slow lane buy a minor
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

But , why is it that the biggest missing bits are the boxing plate to outer sill , inner sill to floor pan , its like trying to weld thin air at times... ( current 4 door much the same in parts )
PaulTubby
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PaulTubby »

That needs all new floors, rust has got to it even though you may think it looks surface, a lot of that is heavy and will be thin once de rusted etc... buy new floors and by th best panels you can..... Paul
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Ok unanimous vote is new panels. Best I can find is esm Hadrian ones. Apart from the 4 floor pans. Outer under and sill finishers am I likely to need any others?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Needs all new floors - and a new crossmember - you can see where it has punched up through the floor under the driver seat... Don't bother with jacking points!
ImageImage
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Yeah wasn't going to bother with jacking points. Oh no more welding parts, so would that be a "Main Centre Cross Member (Less Jacking Point) LMC Hadrian UK Made"

Anyone fancy welding it for me? :P :P Local garages are being funny about this work. :roll: May need to find someone experienced in doing Morris Minors.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's the item - this is major work you are considering - not for a regular 'garage' at all..... The sills will all need renewing too.......
ImageImage
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Yes BMC, I had the outer under sills and sill finishers already in mind. Too a few pictures of the cross member. I personally hadn't thought it was bad apart from at the drivers end. Seemed fairly solid... wish i could weld now.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Hi Nam,

I don't want to heap more bad news on you but looking at the condition of the floor you can probably guarantee that the front and rear spring hangers will be gone too, plus the chassis legs, you may get away with half cross member pieces as the centre is generally covered in oil. Also it`s not until you remove the front and rear wings that you will see if the A post and C post areas are intact as these are also subject to rot and help support the sills and boxing plate. Last but not least the boot floor is also prone to rot.
One thing that is also required is to make sure the whole body is not twisted. Looking at it you couldn't just start removing sills and floors, it would need bracing.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Hi Richard.

Did you come over and help me originally to roll it into my garage?

Hope it is not bad news. That sounds a lot and to be honest I have had a good look around and seems ok but as you said you need to look close. Would you mind coming over sometime to have a look or know someone local to check as I could do with an expert opinion.
Last edited by nam on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It would be a shame to spoil the job without fitting a new crossmember... I fitted an 'end' earlier this year - and it will 'keep my Trav going' for a good few years, but my floors etc are all pretty good. The 'end' I bought was not worth the money.....if going that route, make your own!
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Hi Nam,

Yep It was I who helped roll it into the garage. I could come across tomorrow night and take a look?
PM me your postcode and house no.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Thank you so much Richard for coming round...

Unfortunately it's the worst news. We both decided it's not worth carrying on with it. So she will have to be sold/broken for spares... :cry:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear, sorry to hear that - I'm sure someone will take it on......
ImageImage
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

I hope so becuase I really felt it could be saved. It's mainly the floor and post weldings that make it a no-goer for me. I'm sure someone with welding morris minors experience could easy so it. We found it also had a 1098 engine and gearbox.
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

I've been there- bought a cheap car figuring replace 2 front wings, put a few patches on, then a tastefull respray- a year on and that's turned into a small restoration of new floor pans,boxing sections,inner and outer sills, rear spring hangers,front chassis sections and repair, engine bay plates and numerous other repairs to bits that were concealed by wings!
Whereas the replacement panels aren't that expensive (about £180 so far I think), it's the time taken to sort it out- a year on and there's no more rust or flakes falling on to the garage floor and red oxide now covers the new metal, I'm rolling it over shortly to renovate the underside, then work can begin painting and putting bits back in and on, it should be back in one piece by next year, although that isn't 100% certain!
It's sad when you have to admit that there's more to repair than meets the eye, but you have too be realistic when taking an old rusty car on as a restoration project, even though the Moggy is easier to repair than most- you've got to know when to give up or get on! :lol:
Ps, the picture is of the last rusty sections removed last week 8)[frame]Image[/frame]
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Yes, looks much like some of my parts. Though yours might be worse... Well i'm now considering having a go at welding. I'm good with tools and done plenty of soldering. Also very good at measuring and cutting things to shape so a possibility. Can I ask what you all use?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Professi ... B002HMRTV2

I saw gasless one but have read that maybe gas one's are the way to go.
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

Looks like an ok mig welder for the price, I've got an ancient Clarke unit which does the job-plan your work out and first strengthen the shell by welding bars across the middle of the door apertures to stop distortion, then follow threads on this forum as to how other people have repaired theirs, use their knowledge available and practise welding before attempting to piece your car back together. Moggys are simple in their construction but care must be taken pulling them apart and reassembling ( a good spot weld remover drill is definitely an investment), and bear in mind new panels never fit as well as the originals!
Take your time and eventually you will become confident and competent in welding your car up, but it's a learning curve and won't happen overnight. It's great to see new panels in place and you know you're another step closer to getting it back to roadworthy condition and it's been done properly to last another 40 years! (And you've saved another Moggy!) 8)[frame]Image[/frame]
Picture of the new floor from ESM about to go in
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!