Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

A pillar flexing

Post by Mark Wilson »

Today I got round to finishing my front off-side restoration on my 71 Traveller. Earlier I had replaced the step sill, boxing plate, floor extension and outer sill, also the rear half of the flitch and the door pillar. Plus some repairs to the kidney panel and wheel arch.

What had put me off finishing it was difficulty in getting the pillar as stiff as I wanted - with the cover plate self tapped in place I expected this to be rigid, but found that it moved quite noticeably if I lifted the door, due to the flitch panel flexing like an aluminiun can near the top of the pillar. The flitch replacement is the sort with the right angled return back to the door seal and was fully welded into place, so I'm blaming the quality or thickness of the metal.

What I've done today is a bit of a bodge. To stiffen the flitch I've drilled through it and plug welded it to the back of the kidney panel in a couple of places. Problem cured and the door fit is beautiful - but is this approach a total no-no to the more professional restorers out there? Clearly a potential rust trap, but it will be fully Dinitroled.

Sorry, didn't take any photos before I welded the hinge pillar cover in place, but have found one showing the flitch before welding.

Mark[frame]Image[/frame]
ajay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: A pillar flexing

Post by ajay »

What a successful repair. You have done exactly as you should. The flitch panel was originally plug welded through just as you have described. So you should have fixed the problem providing the welds are strong. There is quite a bit of flexing in that spot through door movement. I have just been out to check mine and there are about 14 plugs as it came from the factory.

Cheers Allan
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

As above not a bodge at all it was originally spot welded through to the kidney panel.

Taupe
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks for quick replies gents. No sign at all of plug welds when I stripped, but not much metal in either the flitch or the kidney panel so not too surprising. Wish I'd put a few more in now, could still do it from the inside.

Mark
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

And since my "bodge" has now gained approval, I'll let you see the result![frame]Image[/frame]
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Very good work indeed!
]