Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Bonnet fit

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've a long way to go before this becomes my most serious problem, but my Traveller has this huge gap at the rear of the bonnet, nearside. I've tried adjusting the hinges, but the bonnet is quite close to the scuttle and if I pull it in any more it fouls the wiper arm. Any ideas? I haven't done any rebuilding on this side, was like it when I got it, but there may have been previous work to the hinge pillar area.

Offside also shown for comparison. (wing loose in that picture and door now closer to gutter since re-alignment)

Mark
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
graham1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Bonnet fit

Post by graham1957 »

hi mark, to me it looks like the door to gutter is a good fit,maybe gutter wants just tapping forward 2 mm with block of wood.the bonnet vertical gap is way out,maybe some metal has been cut off the bonnet at some stage in its life to make it fit another car.if its a good bonnet otherwise! a thin strip could be welded in.
[sig]8872[/sig]
graham1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by graham1957 »

also the alloy strip attached to the side of the bonnet looks to have been cut shorter as well, it seems to have a sharper back edge to it.
[sig]8872[/sig]
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks, Graham. Looking at the pics I think you may be right with the cutting theory - the curve at the top edge is a wider radius than on the other side, and there seems to be a small saw nick at the internal angle. I should be able to measure it later today.

It's a bit visible for my standard of welding - anyone got a spare bonnet in Yorkshire?

Mark
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I had to trim, file and then repaint these edges on my replacement bonnet, as they were catching / scoring the gutter where this edge rests when closed. The bonnet is now a good fit on my car but may not be on another, so I would go with the theory that the bonnet may have been 'adjusted' to fit another car at some stage.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

The bonnet has been 'trimmed' to fit another car id say, this has to be done in many cases, id say find another bonnet, or tack a small strip on it to make up for the missing metal.... you will then want another aluminium stripe as will be shorter still!