Body work

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
marymc
MMOC Member: No

Body work

Post by marymc »

Hi there, was wondering if anyone has used a shot blaster to strip their car and was it expensive?
Had a guy look at my car today, to get it stripped inside/outside/underneath/axles/rims etc also he's going
to spray it with holding primer and paint axles black. Price around £1000. Does that sound reasonable, sorry to
sound so naïve its just this is my first restoration project so your advice would be a great help. :)
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Body work

Post by simmitc »

About 12 years ago, we paid £500 for a similar job, including engine bay, but excluding underside (we knew that to be sound) and axle; so I expect that your price sounds about right. Porbably varies by region, and definitely by quality. I would rather pay a little bit more and get someone who knew what they were doing, rather than less money, less experience, and lower quality.
marymc

Post by marymc »

Thanks for the advice, yeah the guy was recommended to me by a real perfectionist paint sprayer and he talked the
talk and I would like to do the job right and there's not many shot blasters in N.Ireland to compare prices.
Cheers :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I hope you are ready for the amount of rot the shotblasting will reveal...... :o
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Well if the rots there he needs to know .Surely thats the point?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Aye - but it's a LOT of money to discover the shell is much worse than suspected... I would survey the shell very carefully - and renew any faulty panels BEFORE getting it blasted. Also 'shot' is a bit extreme and may damage thin panels - soda or walnut shells are much less damaging.
ImageImage
Romek
Minor Friendly

Post by Romek »

Sounds about right, that was what people were asking more or less when I checked, (although I didn't have the whole lot done in the end, as I did a lot myself). A recommendation is good, as some blasting companies do cars as a sideline. Blasting can cause distortion or damage if not done correctly, so you want someone with car experience.

Soda blasting is great on paintwork as its very kind to the bare metal, but not great on rust if that's what your car needs. I think dipping is around that sort of money but will need priming as well, but there's probably even fewer acid dippers than blasters in Ireland!

Ask your painter beforehand about the primer / rust prevention you want to use, as you're going to want to have the shell coated straight away (holding primer sounds like you'll need to take it off again). I used Bondarust, (which needs to be as close to the bare metal as possible), others use POR 15 or just a good etch primer. It may be cheaper if you supply the primer you want them to use (if that's allowed), but check the suitability with your top coat paint. The point is, you don't all of your hard work to be in vain. You also don't to have it sitting in primer forever, so plan the next stages. Good luck!

'69 Traveller project
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It would certainly need to immediately coated - and then moved into a warm/dry garage. Primer is porous - and dampness will rot the steel below.....which in time will show up through the final finish.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I had some Minor wheels blasted some 25 years ago, they were then dipped in a thin spirit type of fluid which then dripped of and dried. I stored these wheels in the garage for about 10 years before painting them; they were as rust free as the day they were blasted. I have never been able to recall the name of this stuff.

marymc

Post by marymc »

Thanks guys for all your advice, doors and boot will definitely need replaced so wont strip them.
Also what's your views on back wings, mine has been fixed to body filled at edge instead of using rubber piping,
has anyone came across this???
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Hi Mary, were abouts in NI are you? We have a branch of the club that meets in the Belfast Rugby Bowling Club on the 1st Thursday of the month at 8pm and also run several events during the spring and summer.

Chances are that you will find some serious rust were the wings bolt to the body, there was a fashion some years ago to blend the wings into the body. I had a red minor that was mildly custom and when I started to remove the filler there there was nothing left behind it.

Too many Minors so little time.....
marymc

Post by marymc »

Hi David, we live just outside Larne, I've been to some of the events this year to get an idea what condition my car needs
to be in and if there are any modified cars, just back from the NEC show :)
I was hoping to have car ready for next year but I think there's going to be more work needed to be done and probably
a lot of panels needing replaced. so I'm going to dismantle it and see where I go from there, wish me luck.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Ive a car stripped out in the garage if you want to come over and get a look at a basic bodyshell and were all your likely to find rot and rust.

marymc

Post by marymc »

Thanks David, that very good of you, how long have you been
restoring yours? Do you do all the work yourself?
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

PM sent