Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
princess090967
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Windscreen fitting

Post by princess090967 »

Hi at all, please could I know the correct sequence to follow to fit windscreen fitting.

Many thanks, Max
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Windscreen fitting

Post by bmcecosse »

I see you have been ignored.... Fit (new!) rubber surround to car opening - with sealer if you wish, then insert screen at the base and work the rubber round the glass taking extreme care, and using 'blunt' instruments. Again - if you wish - put sealer in the groove before fitting the glass. Then fit the trim! Best done on a warm day and in full sun to make the rubber a bit more pliable. I would NOT attempt to fit a laminated screen - too much risk of cracking it.
ImageImage
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Would that work for the rear screen too Roy?
]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The technique for both front and rear screens is covered fully in the manuals, and has also been covered on here numerous times. In a nutshell, front screen fitted from outside, rear screen from inside. Basic technique is the same. A piece of waxed sash cord round the rubber can help to pull it into place. As Roy says, definitely a job for a warm environment, not outside on a frosty day.
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Yes but my question was about fitting the seal to the body first because I've only seen it done with seal already fitted to the screen
]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm sure it can be done either way - I have never fitted a rear screen to a Minor (many Minis...) since I have a Trav...and I have always fitted Minor and Mini screens by fitting the rubber to the opening first.
ImageImage
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Been talking to a fitter who used to work on the lines at Morris. He says the seal was always fitted to the body first then the windscreen fitted using a lubricant similar to dish washing liquid which eventually dries in contact with air. This helps the rubber seal move over the glass.
Glad to be back!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Washing up liquid isn't recommended, it's loaded with salt, try white or silicone grease.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Definitely NOT washing up liquid... I have used a wipe of Swarfega........but many will use a rubber sealant.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you fit the rubber to the body first you can't use the usual string method, it fact I was surprised to read that.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

les wrote:If you fit the rubber to the body first you can't use the usual string method, it fact I was surprised to read that.
Allthough not done it that way ,but it probably would still work,same principle,just something to lift the rubber over the glass,slide one side,or bottom of glass into the rubber and pull the string round the rest.Thinking about it,I'm sure I remember seeing a coach builder fit an old merc.screen like that,many years ago mind.
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

After a real trial involving myself, my son and a friend, I am pleased to report that I have finally managed to fit the rear windscreen. What a job - the string as well as the metal lip was continually doing its best to make small, irritating nicks in the edge of the seal. Fixable so that's ok but unfortunately I also got a 1/4 inch tear into one external part of the seal. I can live with that because I never want to fit a rear seal again, but what would people recommend as the best sealant/glue to ensure a neat and robust repair?

Many thanks
]
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Loctite 410 is good for rubber. Its also black so won't discolour rubber like super glue would. I use it at work but not sure how widely available it is. I would highly recommend it though.
Glad to be back!