Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sips
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Resto in a single garage???

Post by Sips »

Hi All,

Mog will be exiting the road at MOT time (Feb) due to corrosion. The spring hangers have been welded in extremely poorly, and are no where near square. The axle is not exactly straight as a result!

So I am going to strip her down and get stuck in with a welder, first time for 10 years! My question is can I strip her down and rebuild her (not spraying in here, also not my forte!) in a single garage. It is about 2.3m by 5m.

Any thoughts or examples of how you have done it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul.

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Resto in a single garage???

Post by les »

About the size of my Garage, I call it a 'phone box' I've managed a complete stripdown and rebuild and paint but it ain't easy. I wouldn't do it again under the same circumstances, and probably not under any circumstances! You may find you have to store some stuff elsewhere until you're ready for it.

Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Single garage :P[frame]Image[/frame]
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

hi Paul here is the impossible being done in a tiny garage all of course with the aid of a home made roll over jig, about 35 gbp for material from the local blacksmith
so yea go for it, the space i did have was made by storing lots of parts in the loft and greenhouse.
alex

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Not much fun is it!

Sips
Minor Friendly

Post by Sips »

Depends on what you class as fun I suppose!

Thanks for the replies, seems the key is some method of getting the car on it's side.

So I guess it is just a case of engine, box and axle off then wings and doors one braced across door?

Thinking about bracing across the door, what if your car has flexed already? I am unsure if mine has - all I am sure of is that the doors don't fit very well and the A frames look rather 'weak'. Is there a way to check?

PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

It can be done, ive restored cars in the past, (younger and fitter days I may add) outside the house in the corner of the drive, using gazebos and car covers....
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It started off as fun but kind of lost it's edge after 10 years on and off! If you're enthusiastic though I wish you well. One thing I will say if you're working in a small area, keep things tidy and clear up often. It's a mind thing but helps keep things from piling up. There's nothing worse than working with a load of rubbish around the bench and floor.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

You can put heavy duty castors on a roll over jig to make life easier.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

alexandermclaren wrote:hi Paul here is the impossible being done in a tiny garage all of course with the aid of a home made roll over jig, about 35 gbp for material from the local blacksmith
so yea go for it, the space i did have was made by storing lots of parts in the loft and greenhouse.
alex

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Have you got any pictures/details of your roll-over rig, I want to build one soon. Looks like your one allows complete rotation, is it difficult getting the car up high enough? Cheers, Roger :D :D
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

It's in the other garage and i will take sizes and photos nearer the end of the week
the only main thing i had to do was repair and make sure the bumper supports were okay as it uses them to hold the shell which they are more than capable off. :D :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The problems in a small garage come if you have to open the car doors for access - so I would advise removing the doors first! Otherwise as others have said - keep it tidy..
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

alexandermclaren wrote:

[frame]Image[/frame]

Love that photo with the engine showing through the bonnet. Is that some kind of photo editing?
(or is it a very clever airbrush picture??) :wink:

rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

beero wrote:
alexandermclaren wrote:

[frame]Image[/frame]

Love that photo with the engine showing through the bonnet. Is that some kind of photo editing?
(or is it a very clever airbrush picture??) :wink:
Seconded! Lovely use of photo-editing, beautifully executed - very professional!!! :D :D :D
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
skidneale
Minor Friendly

Post by skidneale »

I am currently undergoing a traveller in my single garage,as said before keep tidy and organised,Neil mg has a section on his reso with a home made roll over jig that i have copied and this works very well, i have also fitted some industrial swivelling castors on the base so it is very mobile good look on your resto
regards
Mark