Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

When to fit boxing panel?

Post by Trafalgar blue »

Now that I've removed enough panels/rot to replace the boxing plate, should I weld it in place before going any further? I've got to replace the inner & outer under sill also the bottom of the door hinge pillar.[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: When to fit boxing panel?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I'd say it's always good to put some strength back in as soon as you can and from the photo you seem to have taken allot out, so if you now have solid metal to weld to then yes.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly

Post by Trafalgar blue »

Ok cheers mike, I had to keep cutting out till I could get the boxing plate in in 1 piece. Next step then will be to drill the boxing plate & spot weld along the top, front & back only.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if you are doing it with the car still on its wheels,not rolled,I would fit the inner undersill first,its easier to weld it to the floor edge ,the boxing plate gets in the way if fitted .I also think,(Could be wrong its a while since I did one,) that the bottom edge of the boxing plate actually is welded to the edge of the inner and outer undersill joint,or does it touch only the inner. I would weld the inner and outer then the boxing plate,so that it can hang straight down from the inner car sill and be welded wherever it touches the undersills.Matter not if you roll the car of course. Hope you put a brace across the door frame,Of course you did :D
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly

Post by Trafalgar blue »

Hi kennatt, yes I did put a brace across the door, but I also put a piece of 2x4 on axle stands under the car which may now be in the way :roll:
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly

Post by Trafalgar blue »

How would be the best way of ensuring I cut and get the inner & outer panels in the correct place?
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I left what remained of both original inner and outer undersills in place while I replaced the sill step, then I replaced them both before welding the boxing plate, so that I could seam seal and give the box interior some decent paint protection before closing it off. I left most of the hinge pillar in place to allow me to set the line of the outer undersill and finisher reasonably accurately.

Mark

[frame]Image[/frame]
[frame]Image[/frame]
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly

Post by Trafalgar blue »

Sill step, is that this part.[frame]Image[/frame]
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

I did it slightly differently, I fitted the boxing panel first, don't forget the panel is curved to follow the contours of the inner sill,and then temporarily lined up the under sills to the boxing section and floor pan ( which I had just replaced) using tack welds and rivets, pay close attention to where the x member ends as blanking plates may be needed if you don't use the jacking points,and then lined up the outer sill to the 2 door car bodywork, door frame and the section in front of the rear wheel arch checking they were level and the sill cover section fixing bolt holes lined up ok.
Using mole grips I pulled the outer sill and inner sills together before tacking in place, plug welding along the lower section of the boxing plate, when the car was on its side I welded the under sills to the floor pan for extra strength. All of the repair parts were from ESM and took a fair bit of work to get them to make a good fit, especially the outer sill to rear under sill area by the rear wheel arch, but I got a good enough fit and it looks fine. 8)[frame]Image[/frame]
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Trafalgar blue wrote:Sill step, is that this part.[frame]Image[/frame]
No, that's the kickplate
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly

Post by Trafalgar blue »

Not sure which one you mean by sill plate
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Here's a link to a cross section of the sill components.
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... exID=17115
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Sill step, is that this part.
Our cat's front feet are on the top of the sill step in my second photo!
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly

Post by Trafalgar blue »

Thanks mark, won't be replacing that piece. Thanks for the link tricky, I wondered where I'd seen that. As the undersills are repair panels do I cut out the old to the same size so I butt weld the new panels in or cut it so it overlaps?
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I welded in a bridging piece of steel between the front and rear floor extensions. The attached link (to the "other" site - PM me if the mods remove it) has really good pics and recommends a linking piece (post by Jonathon H - professional restorer)

http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/viewtopi ... els#p38486

Mark
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Just realised that you mean the long edge. I have trimmed and pluggged mine to the sill step flange and when I get to roll it sometime next year I will weld the lap between both these layers and the new floor pans. My welding isn't good enough to butt weld here, but I will pay a lot of attention to the seam sealing. You are keeping the floor pan and the sill step, but I would still trim the repair panel and the original floor pan to lap at the sill step flange. There are more experienced restorers than me out there, though!

Mark
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Trafalgar blue wrote:Thanks mark, won't be replacing that piece. Thanks for the link tricky, I wondered where I'd seen that. As the undersills are repair panels do I cut out the old to the same size so I butt weld the new panels in or cut it so it overlaps?
The panels are REPLACEMENT panels not repair panels,remove all traces of the old undersills,then clean up and repair,if needed, the floor/ inner sill ,then fit and weld in the new replacement undersills,to the floor/innersill,you are allowed ,for mot,to use spot welds ,as originaly done,if you are fitting replacement panels,but I would suggest that you seam weld all of the joints.Has to be a stronger joint.Once you get the old undersills off and trial fit the new panels you will see where they need to be fitted. Be prepared to fettle them into place they allways need a bit of a calibration with a hammer :o
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

The panels are REPLACEMENT panels not repair panels,
To be pedantic I would class them as repair panels, in that originally the floor pan extended in one piece to the outer sill, spot welded to the flange on the sill step. So there wouldn't have been a seam to weld. Absolutely agree with the need to seam weld the new panel, whatever we call it!

Mark