By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cyril
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Windscreen rubber

Post by Cyril »

Hi
Question?
If the windscreen rubber is not waterproof anymore and water collects in the tear duct of the windscreen (See pic)
Can this cause leaking into the front interior of the car?
I am trying to establish if this is the cause, I have explored all other areas like quarter lights and side windows.
Thanks
Mark[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Windscreen rubber

Post by bmcecosse »

Just feel around inside the rubber - while another pours water over on the outside....not blasting it with a hose. Otherwise - wiper wheelbox seals - and bonnet hinge seals ?
ImageImage
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

if it is leaking at this point it will run down the
dash...
i had the same problem with a new rubber????
this was solved with
captain jolleys creeping crack cure..
its great stuff
and has been mention here
before....
google is your friend :wink:
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

As all the screen rubber is visible on the inside you will be able to see water dripping from this area if it is indeed the source of the leak.

Two other possible leak points I've seen recently- door not adjusted and or door rubber perished causing a leak down the inner part of the hinge pillar.

One odd one, if the under bonnet rubber is missing on some cars water can run down underneath the lip of the bonnet down the engine side of the bulkhead and in through a hole in the bulkhead into the cabin. These holes if not used should be blanked off with a grommet. Some cars have bonnets that dont fit as well as they should allowing water to drip under the bonnet.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Cyril
Minor Fan

Post by Cyril »

One odd one, if the under bonnet rubber is missing on some cars water can run down underneath the lip of the bonnet down the engine side of the bulkhead and in through a hole in the bulkhead into the cabin. These holes if not used should be blanked off with a grommet. Some cars have bonnets that dont fit as well as they should allowing water to drip under the bonnet.
Thanks
I am pretty sure its this one as its coming down the lip behind the glove box (drivers side) then dripping from that just behind the heater button.
Thanks
Mark
blues2rock
Minor Friendly

Post by blues2rock »

As BMC, but remember water does not run 'uphill' most likely it is the screen rubber leaking. If you are able to confirm that with the water test take care to dry it out properly then if it is just a small leak the creeping crack cure might do it. If not you could try some clear silicone, but the only long term 'proper' cure is a new rubber. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself then one of the national glass companies will do it and guarantee the job.
Mr Angry from Maldon
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Cyril wrote:
Thanks
I am pretty sure its this one as its coming down the lip behind the glove box (drivers side) then dripping from that just behind the heater button.
Thanks
Mark
Maybe the screen surround is rusted out and holed.

Remove the chrome trim and screen, complete with rubber to check the surround.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's quite a job - check everything else first.........
ImageImage
Cyril
Minor Fan

Post by Cyril »

Thanks All
Hi BMC sorry not been on here for a while, work has been hectic since new year, hope you are keeping well.
I think I have solved the problem, I held a hose of trickling water over the windscreen and some of the water started to bypass the bonnet seal down into the engine and over 2 holes that were not sealed with grommets. It matches the location of where the leak is coming from so I guess its a new seal and some grommets.
Thanks folks will let you know if it works.
Mark
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Well done for finding the leak, Cyril. I have seen just this problem myself on a couple of cars.

cheers John
Cyril
Minor Fan

Post by Cyril »

you're welcome John
There are a lot of "Seams" around that area of the body work, I also notice mine has a drain hole on each wing. These were blocked with muck so have unblocked them. I guess a good overhaul in all those areas are worth while to stop water going where it shouldnt.
Cheers
Mark
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good find! I need to check that out in my own car!
ImageImage
judb

Post by judb »

on this topic im replacing the front and rear window rubbers as they both have developed a leak since being put back in after a respray. Does the chrome strip have the join at the top or the bottom of the front screen? Its the modern plastic chrome lookalike :cry: unfortunately.