Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
George Smathers
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Steering wheel position

Post by George Smathers »

I have a question about mounting my steering wheel. On a 1958 Morris should the third "spoke set" on the banjo steering wheel be pointing at six o'clock or twelve o'clock?

Thanks,

George
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Steering wheel position

Post by Boomlander »

Most pictures I have seen show a spoke pointing to 12 o'clock with the wheel centralised. :D

George Smathers
Minor Fan

Post by George Smathers »

Great, thanks!

George
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Otherwise in a frontal collision you get a set of spokes in your stomach :lol:
Makes sense not to have the spokes where you want your hands at 10 to 2.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Series MM/II spokes at 10 to 2 so that you can see the instruments and rest your thumbs on the spokes
M1000 spoke at 12 o'clock so the M badge is the right way up
1098 2 spoke, swap for 3 spoke!
[sig]3580[/sig]
MorrisMinor-65-1000
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisMinor-65-1000 »

All other factors aside, could a dished 3-spoke banjo wheel (early M1000 etc) be fitted with the spokes at 6 o'clock and still feel the same?

I can't seem to work out if the dish is offset? If you roll the steering wheel through its full travel, does the rake of it change when it's upside down? From pictures that I've seen it looks like it might point more to the sky when upside down. Sat in a few, but can't really dry steer someone else's car to see what angle the wheel's at when it's the other way up!

If so, this would be an acceptable alternative to the 2-spoke (which I personally prefer on a 1098) if you were fitting auxiliary dials in the glove box area.
Cheers,
Michael

ImageImage
1967 - Minor 1000. Trafalgar 2-door. Barn-find rotter. Undergoing nut & bolt restoration.
1972 - Rover 2000 TC. Rescued from the brink. Now daily driver. Brigade Red. Subtle performance upgrades.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

At some point in its travel the spokes will point wherever they do, it's a round wheel with equally splayed spokes, no matter where you set them to start with.

MorrisMinor-65-1000
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisMinor-65-1000 »

les wrote:At some point in its travel the spokes will point wherever they do, it's a round wheel with equally splayed spokes, no matter where you set them to start with.
#
Thanks, it was the equally splayed bit I wasn't sure about. I got as far as the circle part on my own :wink:
Cheers,
Michael

ImageImage
1967 - Minor 1000. Trafalgar 2-door. Barn-find rotter. Undergoing nut & bolt restoration.
1972 - Rover 2000 TC. Rescued from the brink. Now daily driver. Brigade Red. Subtle performance upgrades.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Ah, hang on a minute. When I say equally splayed, I mean the spokes leave the centre at the same angle. Not sure if the spokes are spaced equally around the wheel.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The spokes on a 3 spoke wheel are spaced at 120 degrees and the orientation of the wheel depends on the M motif on the horn push. I am not familiar with all the variations of horn pushes but if they will only fit one way, secured by a screw through the wheel hub then the wheel should be positioned so that the motif is up the correct way up when the road wheels are in the straight ahead position
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If the spokes are not equally splayed - it has probably been in an accident - and distorted by the driver's chest/abdomen ........ Maybe not wise to continue to use such a damaged wheel....... :oops:
ImageImage