Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggymate
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

SUSSPENSION PARTS ETC

Post by moggymate »

hi there all
I have also noticed that the back end is very low and at 5 mph over a speed bump it hurts.
Can anyone advise me on what I need to do
I have checked the leaf springs they seem to very flat and the leaf spring bushes seem to have gone on holiday

any information will be very grateful

regards
Darren

MORRIS MINOR 1957 948cc 4 DOOR BLACK
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: SUSSPENSION PARTS ETC

Post by kennatt »

common problem,pair of new springs and POLLY bushes available from the traders.are the bump stops,on the top of the springs /in place.These can also be cut down to prevent them hitting the chassis,which helps ,sometimes,but new springs will be the best option,do a search on replacing springs loads of info re how to do.If there is signs of the rear shackle hitting the chassis rail,which it does when the springs have flattend out,there will be a mark on the rail,then new is the only option,allthough some have fitted longer rear shackles which again is a temp fix.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Also refilling the dampers with SAE40 oil will help, from your description of your rear suspension it sounds as though they may be empty. I would also do the fronts too.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
RichG
Minor Friendly

Post by RichG »

sounds very much like the springs have gone weak , and need replacing , and change the bushes also not to bad a job to do , i changed them on my Rosie a few months ago , i got 2 new rear springs from David Manners , at what seemed a good price to me of £ 26 each plus the bushes / in poly , but do check the oil in the rear dampers to , get some one to sit in the car and se how much the rear springs flatten out , and how much clearance there is between the bump stop on top of the axle and the chassis , if not much gap , then the springs are U S , good luck .

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I have checked the leaf springs they seem to very flat and the leaf spring bushes seem to have gone on holiday
sounds like you've answered your own question..
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

sounds like you've answered your own question..
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
moggymate
Minor Friendly

Post by moggymate »

hi there all
I no a man that works in the metal industry he said he can fold me some new leaf springs in 40mm x 8mm thick steel
will this be ok or not
comments welcome as I really don't no

regards
Darren

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

you will have all sorts of problems fitting a non standard spring ie shackles and axle fittings 40mm will not fit the spacers and axle fittings, far too narrow,just get new ones or if this guy is able have the old ones re formed and re tempered,which some have done(do a search on retempered springs)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Springs are made from special grades of steel - and then shaped and heat treated. As above - if he can re-set what you have - maybe worth a try - but if not correctly re-treated, they will be flat again inside a week...... If you want slightly stiffer rear suspension - fit Traveller springs. Standard Saloon springs are ridiculously soft!
ImageImage
Nickol
Minor Addict

Re: SUSPENSION PARTS ETC

Post by Nickol »

Are there firms that you know, that take old existing leaf springs and restore them to former glory? My Morris is actually Ok but I have another english car an Austin 8 where new replacements are not so readily avaiable and there is a lot of sagging on the front springs.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
RichG
Minor Friendly

Post by RichG »

hi . re Austin 8 springs , it might be worth giving Jones Springs a call , they are in wednesbury , Gladstone Street , West Mids , WS10 8BE , 0121 5687575, let us know how u get on , cheers , Richard , and good luck !! :D

moggymate
Minor Friendly

Post by moggymate »

RichG wrote:hi . re Austin 8 springs , it might be worth giving Jones Springs a call , they are in wednesbury , Gladstone Street , West Mids , WS10 8BE , 0121 5687575, let us know how u get on , cheers , Richard , and good luck !! :D
hi there
Richard I managed to find a man in Hainault Essex that as 2 minors and he sold me the back axle complete with diff leaf springs 1/2 shafts drums shoes & cylinders for £60.00 so I'm over the moon at the moment

but there is still some parts I do need but I need to no were I can get then from

I now need rear leaf spring bush kit some leaf spring banding straps 4 new u bolts and some new saddles I think that's what they are called please advise if I have anything wrong
regards
Darren