Door Hinge Screws

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
27woodstock
MMOC Member: No

Door Hinge Screws

Post by 27woodstock »

I have been checking all areas for rust etc on my 1963 Traveller. On removing the left hand door I found one of the main/upper hinge screws has been sheared of flush with the hinge. When removing the other screws I noted that they were contaminated with rust but I was able to remove them without to much trouble. One of the screws in the bracket which holds the door snubber was also sheared off. My examination (tapping/pressing) of the door pillar does not indicate any weakness in the pillar. My question is - is there a simple way of gaining access to the plates which hold the hinge screws. These appear to be held loosely on a bracket within the section. Equally I would like to check on the level of rust whilst the doors are off.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Door Hinge Screws

Post by bmcecosse »

Fraid not!
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I had a similar problem a few years ago (on both sides! :roll: ) when I replaced my doors. I overcame it with a long thin bladed screwdriver and allot of patience, which was wearing thin by the time I got the door hinges screwed back in place (it will hold with two screws on the bottom hinge and doesn't seem to move).
When I had work done on the drivers side A post some time later they very handily got the remnants of the old screw out and welded the retaining plate back in place for me. So now I just have the passenger side to contend with again, at some point in the future...................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

If you unbolt the wing it isn't too difficult to cut away part of the cover welded to the back of the pillar and gain access to the fixing plates. Don't cut the whole cover as it provides important stiffening to the pillar. A welder would charge peanuts to patch it back, and it is not visible once the wing is back on. You can also get a good look at the pillar and inner wing while you are at it.

Wouldn't be happy with the plates being welded back in, they need to slide around in their retainers to allow door adjustment.

Mark
27woodstock

Post by 27woodstock »

Thank you for that Mark. I think I will have ago at cutting some small panels and have a look. The car needs some welding which I have yet to arrange.

Pete
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Mark
" Wouldn't be happy with the plates being welded back in, they need to slide around in their retainers to allow door adjustment. "

Thank you, was going to ask if drilling/tapping a small screw to hold them in place would be a good idea , looks like no , will get some headless bolts to hold them in place while working on the doors/hinges.

Thanks

John ;-)