Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattinhertford
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Door sag / hinge adjustment

Post by mattinhertford »

Hi all,

Very quick question. My drivers door has sagged and I think I need to try a spacer on the bottom hinge to lift it up a bit. Does the spacer (which is probably going to be some penny washers first) go on the hinge part against the post, or the hinge part against the door?

I imagine the door?

Thanks

Matt[frame]Image[/frame]
Morris no.1 - a "learning new skills" project

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Re: Door sag / hinge adjustment

Post by Trickydicky »

Most likely the hinge is worn and needs replacing, have you also checked for any corrosion in the A post too?
If it is the hinge check by lifting the door while it is open and can you feel any play?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

If lifting the door doesn't show obvious play it may be that the surrounding metalwork has sagged under the weight. If this happens the door can be lifted with a jack to realign it.
mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

Thanks Ianmack/Trickydicky,

If I lift the door there is some play in it and I can 'manually' realign it to fit the frame nicely....the posts etc are quite sound. In what way does the hinge wear? Is it the pin or something?

ta

Matt
Morris no.1 - a "learning new skills" project

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Reconditioned hinges are available, or if you're feeling confident, then you can fit oversize pins yourself to your hinges. You will need to remove the hinge from both the door and the A-Post - beware, the bolts go in to captive plates that over time might lose their supports and fall off. Access to the door is easy with the trim panel removed, but the A-post is another matter completely.

To remove the bolts, first score round them to break any paint, then apply Plus Gas or other releasing fluid, and leave to soak for a few days, topping up regularly. Get a spare bolt and cut off the head. Remove one bolt from the A-post hinge and screw in the one with the head cut off. Repeat on other A-post hinge. Now remove remaining bolts. The headless ones will stop the plates from falling off, and will also assist when refitting the door as they will take the weight whilst aligning other bolts.

You can also apply prudent heat to the bolts, try tightening before loosening, and use an impact wrench - but watch out for the countersunk cross head ones, you don't want to chew the heads. Of course, sometimes they do just unscrew easily.

Pins / re-con hinges are the way to go, but if you still need a spacer, then JLH sell very nice plated laser cut ones in varying thicknesses.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Has anyone had any experience with the New hinges avaiale from ESM? Rather than re con, just wondering if they are a good fit/ any known issues.

Cheers

Edd
'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same'

Edd, 26, Devon.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

The ESM hinges are a good alternative to reconditioning yourself. I've used them and have no complaints.

Regards
Rod
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Thanks Rod,

Yes I would like to recondition myself but by the time I buy a hinge pin, a drill bit and a pillar drill, then spend two hours swearing and removing my thumbs it would probably be cheaper and easier to buy new and save my old ones for practicing on when I've got time and tools!

Cheers,

Edd

Edd, 26, Devon.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

That way my thought at the time. I think the hinges are exchange though.

Rod
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

They seem to do brand new ones now, non-exchange. Going to try those!

Edd, 26, Devon.