Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
laneychief
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Waxoyl application

Post by laneychief »

Morning all,

I am getting prepared to start filling up box sections and spraying the inside of door bottom repairs with waxoyl, also spraying the bottom again over winter.

Does anybody have any tips on what to buy to apply it? I don't own a compressor so does anybody have any experience with the pump yourself pressure things?

Any links to products to buy for easiest/least mess application, I've only done it once and I used just spray aerosol cans which was no good for box sections and hard to reach areas!

Thanks all

Edd
'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same'

Edd, 26, Devon.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Waxoyl application

Post by ianmack »

I think the only real answer is to buy a compressor plus a long nozzle parafin gun. The plastic hand sprayers are pretty hopeless in my experience and aerosols not much better. I found a secondhand compressor on fleabay for £50 and it's been well worth it for a good pressured application. Although it is an initial outlay it will pay for itself in time as Waxoyl is much cheaper in cans than aerosols, and you can add thinner of choice. I use parafin. Some people use red diesel and even sump oil.

On the subject of waxoyling I just packed the gear away only to realise I had forgotten the cross member under the rear seat. I seem to recall seeing a chart showing all the oiling cavities for a mog but can't remember where. Any ideas?
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Ah ok!

Well my father in law is moving down to Devon from Bath and aiming for a double garage for his mini and my Morris and we are gear sharing so maybe first investment is a compressor then!

Thanks for the advice, yeh an oiling chart would be great!!

Any experience of rust convertor either?

Thanks!

Edd, 26, Devon.
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

Another possibility is that they recently had wee compressors in Aldi at a reasonable sort of price and they, like most of the Workzone power tools they sell, come with a three year warranty. Perhaps not up to trade use but should be good enough for DIY. may have one or two left in your local store?
Did you ever get that bonnet stay?
How's the good lady and the wee one?
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Yes thank you very much!! Your jig name is still pride of place, yes they are both well, wee one is 2 on March 4th so is running around and causing all of the trouble. Currently moved back in with my parents to save for a house deposit for next year so all of the chaos and not much time for minor work sadly.

I'll have a look for aldi offers! Thanks!

Edd, 26, Devon.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Yes, the only way is to blow the stuff in under high pressure and for that you'll need a compressor.

The waxoyl sprayer like a garden sprayer is next to useless.

The ultimate way of doing it is to buy a wax injection gun, the pot is pressurised as well so you can be sure the wax is atomised, blow it in one end and watch it come out of the other. Don't do it if you still have any painting to do though, it gets everywhere.

The other option is a schutz style gun that goes on top of the tins, I have heard stories of the tin exploding if the nozzle gets blocked though, as again they pressurise the can.

Waxoyl is certainly better than nothing but not a great fan, Dinitrol or Dynax (Bilt Hamber) are far better.

Good luck.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The trick with Waxoyl is to thin it (white spirit) and heat it in a bucket of boiling hot water. A cheap garden sprayer then blows it in the cavities very satisfactorily. It will drip = so not on the monoblock.......
ImageImage
936cbpminor
Minor Friendly

Post by 936cbpminor »

I used Dynatrol which came with a extension tube from Amazon (two rattle cans)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... ge_o04_s00

Got well in to the box section.
1961 948cc Yukon Grey 'Her In Doors'
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

The dynax stuff is brill, so easy to apply and not messy. It comes with about 2 ft long extension tubes for spraying into the chassis legs and box sections, just insert it in the cavity and pull it slowly out and it sprays all around. Looks watery at first but dries to a nice wax. 3 cans will do front chassis legs, back chassis legs, inner and outer sills, and under the back seats and proably the doors to. Dont forget the wee box section the holds the boot striker in place.

I havent tried the brush on dynax stuff yet for underneath, I always found the brush on waxoil underseal to be a good job, its not like old under seal and doesnt crack over time.

Too many Minors so little time.....
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

The old guy who I bought my A30 off had sprayed the underneath with old engine oil twice a year since 1960ish. When I did it up 2 years ago there was hardly a sign of rust. Not recommending it in this day and age but it seems to have helped preserve the car.
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

936cbpminor wrote:I used Dynatrol which came with a extension tube from Amazon (two rattle cans)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... ge_o04_s00

Got well in to the box section.
Thanks. Just bought some to do my 52 MM I've just got back from the sprayers whilst I can access all the cavities.
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Get a compressor and before long you won't know how you ever got by without one!

John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Bought 2 tins of Bilt Hamber which came in pressurised cans with long plastic nozzles for about £40 delivered and they were brilliant and did the job. Easy to use and not messy. Expected to have to drill holes but found they already existed as chassis drain holes. One tip though: Insert tube just inside, spray and keep pushing tube in as far as it goes. If you do it as suggested above i.e. push it in and spray whilst withdrawing it you get a face full when it comes out (found out the hard way!). A few years ago, I did another car with a compressor and gun and long nozzle, the waxoyl can sitting in hot water and that was much more difficult and messy though a bit cheaper..[frame]Image[/frame]

Bertie.
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

Hi,
Just been in our local Aldi and they still have one or two of the 2.5 hp compressors in at £89.99p. Might be worth having a wee look!!