Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lencot76
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

FRONT SCREEN PROBLEMS

Post by lencot76 »

I have fitted the rear screen and was expecting an easier job,with the front one.However 3 attempts so far ,and still not in.It almost seems ,as though the screen with the seal is too big to go in.When I offer it up the the car,the screen is still proud of the bodywork,I thought that it would sit into the recess and then I could pull the cord to flip the "lip" over the rim.When I get the lip over part way round ,the screen is still proud of the rest of the opening.When I done cars in the past,the screen seems to fit into the recess and then it is not to hard a job,to pull the lip over with the cord . Any ideas, :( :-?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: FRONT SCREEN PROBLEMS

Post by bmcecosse »

The rubber seal is fitted to the car - then the screen is fitted from the outside. Take GREAT care if it is a laminated screen..... It usually slips in easily enough (again warm surroundings etc do help) however the trim piece can be a bit more tricky.
ImageImage
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

Thanks I have been fitting the rubber to the screen and then trying to pull the lip over the rim,with the cord as I have always done in the pastLen
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Len, yes fit the rubber to the windscreen, put the cord in and then set it into the frame from the outside of the car and pull the cord from the inside of the car. I find I usually start it with a screw driver at least one corner. You also need someone pushing down slightly from the outside.

I always find the front much easier than the back, with the exception of the split screen...... :o

Too many Minors so little time.....
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

Thanks,the workshop manual says to put the rubber round the glass first.Also it was such a tight fit to get the rubber onto the screen ,I can`t see it fitting in once the rubber is fitte to the car.As I said I have tried about 3 times to get the screen in,with a friend,but it seems as though the glass ith the rubber on,is too large.This is almost the last part of the restoration to do ,and I am getting nowhere fast Len . :( :roll: :cry:
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Even though I have fitted several Minor 1000 windscreens over the years I have to admit that when I came to fitting the front laminated windscreen to my Minor I chickened out and got the professionals to fit it as at that time (early 1980s) a Minor laminated screen was a rarity.
It was well worth the money and may be an option to consider.
As regards the fitting - the seal should be fitted to the screen and then the string put in place (note:- it should be well crossed over in the top middle of the screen), place the screen/seal to the aperture, feed ends of the string inside. With someone pressing on the outside of the screen gradually work the lip of the seal inside of the frame. The lubricant used for fitting tyres helps considerably. As said above best done in a warm environment.
Is it me or are the windscreens seals a lot more inflexible these days?
Phil

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I've always done it with the rubber on the car - and then fit the screen. Seemed to go in easily enough that way. However - I refuse to attempt to fit laminated screens to Minors or Minis. My rally-mad mate at the time cracked two before he gave in and let Autoglass do the job.
ImageImage
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

If you fit the rubber onto the car,then fit the screen,isn`t very tight? I find that when I am fitting the rubber round the glass it is a struggle to get it on
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Maybe you just have a very firm/non pliant rubber seal .
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

Hello I bought the seals,from C.O.H.Baines who make them.I have had them from them before .
KeithGSY
Minor Friendly

Post by KeithGSY »

Just done one and had the biggest fight getting it in than any I have done in the past. Rubber on glass then nylon strimmer line to pull the lip in. Resorted to rubber hammer to get it in. Could not fit the chrome so put in a piece of 5A three core mains lead and left it over night. Then the chrome went in next day. Rear window was a fight too but side windows went in text book style. Different rubber though.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I always swore by lubricated sash cord. Did a split screen on my own where a pair of professional screen fitters had failed. Smug eh!
Good home offered for custom splittie
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

Is there a windscreen fitting company in the Worcestershire/Birmingham area ,that anyone can recommend.Most glass companies now only fit the bonded screens in Len
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

I`ve just managed to fit the rubber onto the front screen,what a nightmare .I must be getting weaker in my old age Len :(
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

When I offer the screen ,up to the frame it seems almost as though the screen and rubber are too large to go into the recess,or is this normal.I have never had problems on any other car I have restored,even being able to fit the screen on my own occasionally. :( :oops: :x :( :(
andypocock
Minor Friendly

Post by andypocock »

String and lots of washing up liquid.

Personally I find the later rear windows more of a struggle.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

No oooo

Washing up liquid is full of salt!

Use waxoyle, vaseline, talc or simelar

Taupe