Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnd103
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Accident damage

Post by Johnd103 »

Hopefully I can get some insight here Im having trouble with accident damage I can't get the drivers door to fit has a bit of creasing on it I've some of it pulled out but feel like I'm at a dead end any little insight is appreciated thank you[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Re: Accident damage

Post by Johnd103 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

i think you have a serious problem as the the bulkhead , inner wing and door pillar are all pushed back and by quite a lot looking at the crease in the bulkhead above the shock , i also see the chassis rail by the steering rack appears to be badly bent and torn away from the shock mounting cross member , have you measured the position of the o/s pillar compared to the n/s and see just how far it is out , there is a possibility the screen pillar has moved to, , i would advise the extent of the damage is fully accessed before attempting any repairs , the workshop manual has frame dimensions
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

I did do measurements on the ddoor it is half a cm shorter than the passenger side I've done measurements on the chassis rails and there straight the setting rack was snapped so I have it replaced now . I have some of the inner wing and bulkhead back out I hadn't realised it was so bad when I bought it as it was bought without any doors on it hopefully it will be salvagable its very downhearting when you find stuff like this
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

i have repaired a few accident damaged cars over the years, has this one had a side impact high up to shove bulk head in and crease it.first you need to make sure the cross member is not damaged or out of alignment and the rest of the shell is not rotten.i would drill out spot welds for inner wing and door pillar and remove, i then would cut the bulk head damage out straight up the centre of the heater duct hole,then cut that section off a scrap shell slighty bigger than you need , then grind to correct size and using the big heater hole as a guide for alignment, eg when the hole is round you have the correct position butt weld from both sides and grind excess off flush,your weld under the heater pipe wont be seen but that is no excuse for a poor weld. fit a new inner wing plug welding onto original spot welds and same with a door pillar, you need to keep trial fitting the door for correct alignment,also put bonnet on for measurements good quality welds and correct alignment are essential, good luck, now where did i put my ball? Mackie the Collie
[sig]8872[/sig]
trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

That looks very much like the shunt has pushed the door pillar both backwards and sideways in to the bulkhead I'd be checking all of the shells dimensions from starting with the chassis leg as it looks like you have some serious twisting there.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Theres a diagram with measurements on this page, same as whats in some of the work shop manuals

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5&start=15

Too many Minors so little time.....
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That is seriously seriously damaged/distorted and rotted. Are you sure it's worth saving? If the steering rack had snapped - it must have been quite an accident.... I would hate to encourage you to spend hours and hours on it - all to come to nothing. Substitution with a major section (as suggested above) cut from another shell is likely the way to go.. I had such a section until a few weeks ago - but it' s away now to provide a roof section for another forum member.
ImageImage
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Thanks all for the very helpful advice the shell is well worth saving its. Mostly surface rust and I have 90 percent of the underneath done and the boot done and most of the floors it would be a shame to scrap it it was only where the tie rod goesbin that snapped it was only when I bought the shell it was without doors so didn't realise the shell was that bad fingers crossed I get her sorted
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think you would need to put it on a jig and pull the front corner back into place - I doubt jacking it would do it -but maybe.... Is the windscreen aperture ok ? Compare dimensions Lh side to Rh side.
ImageImage
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Checked that and all is fine it's literally the inner wing the corner of the bulkhead and bottom of the apost even the inner cills are spot on just taking rough estimates and did crossed measurements of the chassis underneath and there square
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - good luck with it....
ImageImage
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Thank you again everyone for the much appreciated help great bunch on here :)