split screen front bumper

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
malc rawlinson
MMOC Member: No

split screen front bumper

Post by malc rawlinson »

i run a small garage repairing modern cars and have just cmpletely restored a 1954 cheese grater grille moorris 1000 for myself to run. i bought new chrome bumpers from Bull Motif the rear one is perfect but the front is about 1 inch too long at either end when attached to the genuine front valance also the overrider holes dont line up if i were to re drill the holes it would put the overriders in the wrong place. i have been told there is only the one bumper for all morris 1000. help or advice if poss please.
Adrian Pearse
Minor Friendly

Re: split screen front bumper

Post by Adrian Pearse »

There is only one front bumper for Morris 1000's. You don't have a Morris 1000. You have a pre facelift Morris Minor Series 2. The Bumpers where different. The overriders if fitted where fitted more to the headlight side so as not to block the sidelight in the front grille. good luck in finding an early Series 2 valance and blade.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Welcome to the messageboard, nice to hear of another minor returning to the road!

Im not sure about it being too long, that could only be a manufacturing fault. The 1000 and series 11 bumpers should be the same length just with the different spacing as Adrain mentioned. A friend recently used a 1000 one his series 11 and placed it just so the over rider covered the edge of the bumper hole, not exactly the correct position but it looked ok and didnt cover the sidelight. Ive also saw minors with a chrome bolt put in to fill the bolt hole that in the wrong spot and new ones drilled, like on the cheesy traveller below.

[frame]Image[/frame]

Too many Minors so little time.....
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Van blade was shorter, wasn't it? About an inch each side?
Cardiff, UK
Pikey
Minor Fan

Post by Pikey »

For info, if it helps,, Van/Pickup bumpers are roughly 2" shorter at each end, they don't have the larger diametre over-rider holes at all and they are painted silver and not chromed.

:)

Steve