Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Myfrtle2016
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wood protection

Post by Myfrtle2016 »

Hello - I am a newbie to both the club and MM Traveller ownership.

My car appears to have been well restored but the woodwork needs a little tlc ( nothing too onerous). I just wondered what the general opinion is of the best products for protecting the woodwork after sanding. Yacht varnish seems popular but some other products also get a mention ie Sikkens uv process coatings ( Charles Ware)

All responses acknowledged

John Earl
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Re: Wood protection

Post by dalebrignall »

when i sanded mine down i used 3 coats of clear cuprinal then when that had dryed i use clear or natural danish oil.there is no right or wrong just do what you feel like ,i oil the wood every year .
[sig]5641[/sig]
Myfrtle2016
Minor Friendly

Post by Myfrtle2016 »

Thanks for that. I hadn't considered oil.
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Budgie »

If I had a traveler and one day I hope I do, then I'd personally go for oil as it's easy to put on and you can top up with ease as and when required .Varnish needs to be sanded down each time you want to refresh it and water tends to seep through where it joins the body work and cracks over time and you won't know what damage has been done till it's too late. Well that's my opinion any way . :D
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

As much Cuprinol 5 star as the wood will soak up (it's like water), leave to dry for a couple of days and then Osmo oil :)
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

The experts are Woodies and I followed their advice from the chapters on woodwork by Steve Foreman in the Morris Minor Traveller book by Ray Newell: Sikkens Cetol HLS followed by Sikkens Cetol Filter 7. I didn't need to add stains as I got the colour I wanted by using the Sikkens system on my sanded wood. I am pleased with the result and will give the surface a fine wire wool and an application of Filter 7 before each winter (preferably September).

Bertie.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Gather 5 Traveller owners in a room and get at least 6 answers as to which treatment is best for wood. Almost universal agreement: do NOT use yacht varnish. It flexes and cracks, and then traps water which causes rot. Of course, for a museum car then varnish looks best, but just not practical if you use the car. I use Burgess woodsealer. Like the cetol it is two products, the first soaks into the wood and then a topglaze can be used to get more of a shine. Developed by a yachtsman, it has the unique property that the sealer can be applied to wet wood and will still dry correctly. Great for cars kept outside.

No right . wrong answers here, just personal choice.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I agree! Avoid varnish - it just traps water. Many opinions on best oil - but all are much better than varnish although some remain slightly 'sticky'. But what (if anything) was the original finish on a new Traveller from the factory?
ImageImage
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Silkens cetol is good but I think Osmo oil is better. Doesnt remain sticky like some oils, breathes and water just beads up on it. Doesn't attract dust and dirt either.
Easy to use and apply. I scraped the old varnish off mine with a Skarsten scraper and a very light sanding of some awkward bits
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Mine came varnished. It looks great cause it's original wood but im looking forward to stripping it off to get some cuprinol 5 on it in a year or 2. Its only gonna be a sunny day car.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

bmcecosse wrote: But what (if anything) was the original finish on a new Traveller from the factory?
Traveller timber frames were varnished at the factory. Owners were advised to "Re-varnish the woodwork annually" in the owners handbook. BMC supplied a bleach and activator, a light oak stain and "Extra pale coach varnish" for exterior wood frames.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Dear OSMO oil enthusiasts:

I am in Australia and I note that OSMO products are distributed here.

My problem is that they have quite a range of different oil coating products.

Obviously, I know to ignore the products that are designated for internal use only. But there are quite a few products for external use.

So... would you tell me please which specific OSMO product you have used, please. Any other info about it you think could be helpful would be appreciated too.

Also I note that OSMO has an anti-fungal anti-rot product that is apparently similar to Cuprinol. Did you use this as well as the oil?

Don
Myfrtle2016
Minor Friendly

Post by Myfrtle2016 »

Hello

Thanks to everyone who replied. My conclusion is that a non-sticky oil seems to be the consensus.

Thank you all very helpful

John Earl
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

don58van wrote:Dear OSMO oil enthusiasts:

I am in Australia and I note that OSMO products are distributed here.

My problem is that they have quite a range of different oil coating products.

Obviously, I know to ignore the products that are designated for internal use only. But there are quite a few products for external use.

So... would you tell me please which specific OSMO product you have used, please. Any other info about it you think could be helpful would be appreciated too.

Also I note that OSMO has an anti-fungal anti-rot product that is apparently similar to Cuprinol. Did you use this as well as the oil?

Don
Hi Don, sorry only just seen you request. I used Osmo UV Protection Oil Extra 420, the clear one and used Cuprinol 5 Start on the bare wood and let it dry for several days before applying the Osmo. Hope this helps.
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Afternoon Don - I too have only just read your request. Yes, same stuff - 420 UV protection, clear.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Thanks Panky and Biggles1957

That is a product that doesn't seem to be available here :cry:

I'll make enquiries with the distributor.

Regards
Don
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Just used wire wool and white spirit to clean up my wood and then gave it another coat of Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 before the winter. Under 2 hours work and pleased with the result. Just need to get the waxoyl now out and crawl under....

Bertie.